Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

Ryan was that kid who never made friends easily. He disliked making conversation with strangers and if he could help it, he would never talk to anyone besides the people he was familiar with. It was this very quality of his that ended with the two of us as partners in class. Both of us were introverts and couldn’t be bothered about making friends. For weeks we would pair together and train without exchanging a single word. Ryan was always stronger than me, and I was never able to get the upper hand. It wasn’t until a particularly frustrating day for me that I completely lost my nerve and practically charged him.

I was the first to cry when I realized that I had straight out punched him in the face. All Ryan had done was smile at me. We were inseparable from that day. Soon after, I had learnt that Ryan had lost his mother to cancer two years before and was the sole reason for his shy behaviour. His dad was a kind man who loved his son and did whatever he could to make him happy. It wasn’t long before I was spending my time at Ryan’s home, eating supper, playing video games and at times sleeping over. David, Ryan’s father always welcomed me with open arms, never questioning my frequent visits to their home. He never failed to express his gratitude to me, seen as I was the first friend Ryan had made since the passing of his mother. Little did he know that Ryan was more of a lifesaver to me than I was to him.

I smile as I look at Ryan’s serious expression as he stares at the computer screen in utmost concentration. His blond hair is sticking up in all directions but still manages to look neat. His blue eyes move slowly over the screen as he purses his pink lips. Ryan has a strong straight jaw which he inherited from his father and he towers over me in all his 6’3” glory. Spending so much time in the gym and mixed martial arts classes left Ryan with a lean yet muscular built. It was painfully clear that Ryan was extremely good-looking, highlighted by his blond hair and blue eyes, his straight jaw line, and muscled body.

“Stop staring.” Ryan murmurs as he continues his slow perusal of the screen.

I blink, smiling at how he could read my every move, “I can’t help it, you just so cute when you all serious.” I lean forward in my seat to reach over and pinch his cheek.

He swats my hand away, “You know I hate when you do that.” He whines, rubbing his cheek while scowling at me.

I chuckle, “And you know I love you.”

His lips twitch with the smile that had the power to make an aching heart beat with renewed hope.

“Yeah, yeah,” he waves his hand flippantly but I knew that he liked it when I told him I love him, “let’s get down to business. Accommodation in New York is insanely expensive, so I arranged for us to stay with a friend for the time. The tournament starts in three weeks’ time. I’ve already made the call, so you set. Plus with the amount of fights and tourneys you’ve won till now, there was no way they could refuse you entry.”

“Wait, wait hold up,” I narrow my eyes at Ryan, keeping my expression serious, “you have a friend? When did this happen?”

Narrowing his eyes at me, Ryan flicks my nose as I chuckle, “I love how that’s all you heard from what I said, and yes I do have friends from besides you.”

“Sorry Mr Popular! But which name did you give?”

“Your name. Why, did you decide to change your name in the last few days, because if you did, I hope it’s something foreign, like maybe Giselle, or Mariya.”  

I roll my eyes, “Yes Ryan, because I’ve always wanted to sound like a French maid.”

“And that’s bad why?”