Chapter 17

Chapter 17:

Lea’s POV:

I narrowed my eyes, staring at Ryan as if I could make him break and spill the secrets. He has refused to have a proper conversation about what I was supposed to do today. Every time I brought up my confrontation with Tyler and my father he repeated the same phrase over and over again. “Just follow your heart. Do what you feel is right.” What felt right at this moment was punching him in the throat.

“Stop looking at me like that, I’m not going to tell you anything more.” Ryan says, pushing a bowl of oats in front of me, even though it was seven o’ clock in the evening.

I scrunch my face but begin spooning the cow food into my mouth. “Normally I can’t get you to shut up and now you refusing to talk.”

He grins, “That’s what makes me so special.”

I give him my best dry look, “I have a fight in a few hours, don’t make me punch you.”

Mike walks into the room, his face pulled into his boyish grin, “Are we ready to leave?”

I chuckle at his enthusiasm wishing that I felt it too, “The fights don’t start for another two hours.”

“I need good seats.” He groans, as Ryan and I laugh. What makes it more adorable is the fact that there are no seats.

“We’ll leave as soon as I finish this gunk.” I mumble, shovelling the way too healthy food into my mouth.

“This gunk is going to give you energy when you almost flat on your ass.” Ryan flicks my forehead.

Mike shakes his head, “No way is this one landing on her ass. Tonight is going to be a good night. I can feel it in my bones.”

I smile at Mike and Ryan grins, “I love you guys.” I say.

“Doesn’t mean you getting out from finishing that bowl.” Ryan smirks at me, while I glare back.

Let the night begin.

Ryan forces me to ring my mother during the cab ride to the club. The call is basically a one sided conversation as my mother rattles on about when I’m coming home and how worried she is about me etc, etc. I calmly and quickly tell her that I’m perfectly healthy and that we might be returning soon, but I don’t say it with much conviction. I finish the call with a quick ‘I love you’ which makes my mother garble and sob and only part of me feels bad for using those words in some sense to keep her from worrying about me.

The club is packed to the brim with people with money to blow and brain cells to lose. We move swiftly through the crowd to the back of the club. The walk to the arena is quick and quiet. I freeze as I look at the crowd that has gathered for the finals. The space is packed to capacity and I hear Mike groan about having to push his way to the front.

I scan the area, noting the VIP section of the audience situated a few metres from the ring with an unobstructed view of the fight. Mr Lucas Wesley is seated in the front row with another man. I can barely see the feature of the other man but from this distance all I can see is that he is one hell of a scary man.

“Took you long enough.” I smile turning towards Tyler.

His dressed in all black once again, his black t-shirt hugging his upper body and his leather jacket draped perfectly over his shoulders. He was a sight to behold.

“Were you waiting for me?” I ask, confused as to how quickly he was able to get to us.

He arches his eyebrows, “What do you think?” before I can answer he takes my hand and nods for Ryan to follow. We weave a path through the crowd, my back receiving multiple claps to the back by spectators who recognised me. I smile and nod, feeling that nerve wrecking dread rise in my stomach.