'Was it your intent to terrify me?'

His lips formed a trembling smile as he held out his palm toward her.

'No.'

Violetta, still frowning, placed her palm against his own. At the touch of his flesh, something inside her sparked into life. Electricity jolted her synapses, bringing forth a whirlwind of emotions. She glanced up, all anger washing away from her mind.

'I came to see you.' Xyhoni's lips had begun to falter. He reached out to brush a strand of hair from her cheek, but froze mid-way, deciding against it. 'I came to ask you if it's true.'

'If what's true?'

'Don't pretend, please?'

Violetta watched as a tear trickled down his cheek, leaving a mark on his beautiful golden skin.

'Yes, its true.' She bowed her head, determined not to lay eyes on him in such a state.

'And, you intend to go through with it?'

Violetta felt a knot form within her chest. I suppose I want to, don't I? I will have my freedom. Surely, its the only logical way to escape my duties here. But, what if Xyhoni thinks-

'Princess?'

Violetta glanced up to find Xyhoni standing right beside her, his emerald eyes glistening with tears. She couldn't understand why, but she felt that she owed him an apology.

'Xi, I'm sorry if I've upset you. Please believe that it was not my intention.'

Xyhoni's beautiful eyes began to darken.

'Do you love him?'

Violetta's mouth opened. She was certain she would find the words to tell him, to explain whatever it was she was feeling.

Silence, as Violetta ran his words through her mind. Do I love Ryore? I'm certainly fond of him. She forced herself to meet Xyhoni's gaze. A sudden longing to embrace him swept through her as tears began to fill her own eyes. He seemed rather upset at the idea of her impending marriage and this made her wonder if there could ever have been more between them; the odd embrace or shy, pubescent kiss.

Still, no words came forth from her lips.

'Very well.' Xyhoni nodded before turning off toward the Palace. 'You have chosen your path. I will not mislead you.'

He doesn't understand. I want to do this. Marrying Ryore will be my path to freedom.

Violetta started after him.

'Xi, wait.' The boy continued his steady pace. 'Wait!' Violetta blinked her tears away. When she looked up, Xyhoni had vanished.

* * * * *

The following week saw Violetta journey with Ryore to his home Realm. The air was crisp and enveloped Violetta in its cool embrace as she listened to Ryore addressing his people. She thought of the attack at the ball. She knew Ryore was adamant that he'd seen Arlas just before, but Lord Jork had observed his brother. Despite her fiance's claims, Violetta was inclined to believe the latter.

Here, in the frigid cold of a Realm she would come to know, Ryore's words did little to inspire anyone. The pair stood before his people, with Violetta wrapped in his loving arms. It was hoped that their union would inspire peace and unite the two Realms forever more.

Gazing out at the small crowd, the citizens seemed to want nothing more than to be released from this pointless spectacle. Their noses were rosy and chalked with ice, an endless supply of fresh snow falling, only to blanket their shivering forms. Some moments, the Realm seemed to Violetta a beautiful dream, an extraordinary land where the sky appeared to mimic the heavens. Like a blank canvas, she was intent to paint their new life upon it. Then the reality of the situation hit her.