Chapter 9

Month 6/10

Violetta

Violetta blinked open her eyes, noting how her hands gripped the sides of her pillow as her lungs expanded with the first delicious breath of morning. Her nightmares were back. Her latest escapade had seen Lord Jork's childhood gift to her transform into a glass vial, which began to drain away her life. Violetta's spine tingled at the mere thought of it. She paused to think about her childhood treasure, stowed away in the depths of her room. For months now she had thought of fetching it, yet no matter how much time passed, Violetta couldn't banish her feelings of guilt.

Violetta thought back a week to her first council meeting. She'd found it rather illuminating and replayed the details through her mind.

She had been acquainted with many interesting new people; various dignitaries and the like. Then there was the Emperor Ryore. She recalled the man's marine eyes and how they appeared to hide a secret within. He seemed a strange character, with that jagged scar that both intrigued and terrified her. Violetta remained curious as to how he'd acquired it, but had refrained from asking at the risk of appearing rude.

She tried to put Ryore from her mind for now and made to wash the night from her skin. After an effort of vigorous scrubbing, Violetta returned to her bed chambers, glad to be feeling vaguely human once more. She dressed for the day, her mind filling with promising thoughts; of dreams and a life beyond the control of others.

A loud knock pulled her out of her reverie.

'Violetta, are you up?'

Her blood ran cold. She ran to bolt the chamber door. She hadn't expected company and was desperate to spend a few more minutes alone. She sped past the antique dresser, stifling a curse as she stubbed her toe.

'You are late, princess!'

The door opened before she could reach it, revealing the lean figure of Jermise. Violetta blinked.

'I do not remember receiving a summons.'

Her confidant fixed her hands on her hips, looking none too impressed with the princess' tone.

'Your father urgently requests your presence in the throne room and he wants you looking smart. We have a guest.'

Violetta glanced down at the dress she had chosen. It was a silken over-dress in cream, with tiny pearl beads that lined the chest, making its calm colour glisten like crystal.

'But I look fine,' she pleaded.

Jermise shook her head and made for the dresser. She grasped the crystal-handle of a hairbrush, beckoning her charge to sit. 'Shall we?'

R R R R R

Violetta halted at the throne room's entrance. Her father's purpose began to trouble her. It was unlike him to spring a meeting upon her. And a visitor? She took a deep breath, swallowing her fear.

'Highness?' Violetta tiptoed into the room, gazing at her father in his golden throne 'May I approach?'

King Eagan looked pleased that she had come well-groomed and immediately waved his daughter up.

The long strides up the room made Violetta wince. She could see that her father appeared restless, his chin cupped within one of his over-sized palms. There was a look in his eyes that she couldn't place. Whatever it was, it made her skin crawl.

She halted before the throne and did her best to withstand the room's harsh glow. Lord Jork was stood beside her father, smiling in a patient manner. Jork is the guest? Why is he here? Violetta drew close, noting the way her father's mood lightened, a broad smile lifting his lips.