Chapter 13

Month 7/10

Violetta

Violetta had spent the next few days at war with herself, having hastily accepted Ryore's proposal. Lord Jork's words had not inspired much hope in regards to her safety. Keeping Arlas and the Seer at bay would be troublesome to say the least.

Violetta thought of her struggles as she slipped out of the tunnels to the deserted Moat Islands. She exited the damp hovel, the smell of fresh water lingering on the air as she ambled over to the protective bosom of her favourite tree.

Violetta settled herself against the great tree's trunk. Since her birth, she had always found its presence comforting. Like a grandmother of sorts, it was always there to calm her when needed. She rested there a while, letting her thoughts pass through her, a moment of peace in a world of chaos.

Marriage is such an odd concept, she thought. Two people bound together for the rest of their days, right up until their time comes and they are parted. Violetta wondered if her father still thought of her mother. Would he consider themselves to be bound, always, no matter how long she had been gone from their lives? Part of her hoped so.

Violetta stroked the tree's tendril-like roots, feeling the energy flowing within. She hadn't expected to find herself engaged so soon, if at all. She found herself gazing at the diamond that weighed down her finger. It was truly a sight to behold, but with it came certain responsibilities. Expectations. She would be bound as wife to a great ruler and committed to the act of producing a strong heir for his Realm. Everything she'd been set against.

Ryore had a strange effect on her. He made her want to throw away all caution, to leap into strange new situations. Violetta thought of what their marriage could mean. She would no longer bear the brunt of duty, as she would one day be expected to in this Realm. She would be free to explore the possibilities that this man could give her.

Violetta found herself wondering if this ring; this promise, would cost her the very freedom that she longed to obtain, or if it would deliver her to it.

'It's times like this that I miss you,' she whispered. She rested her palms against the trunk of the tree. 'Sometimes I wonder if I'm ready to take such a large step. Without you and Darius here‒'

Violetta inhaled, hoping to choke off her sobs before they began.

'Sure, Ryore is handsome, even with that jagged scar.' She began to picture the mysterious cut that marred his otherwise flawless image. 'I admit he is quite a mystery, Mama.'

Violetta lent her thoughts to her would be fiancé. She longed to learn about his dreams, feelings, and perhaps (if she could bring herself to think such bold thoughts) to explore the world hidden beyond the young emperor's robes. The ultimate betrayal, her father would think. If she sired a babe from that man, would her father want a part in her life? Of course he would, she assured herself, though doubt continued to cloud her mind.

'Good day!'

Violetta shot forward, a scream bursting from her lips. Her hands tore at what little grass there was as her body splayed itself on the ground. With shallow breaths, she twisted round to find Xyhoni perched upon a nearby branch.

'What are you doing?' she cried. 'Get down, now!'

'As you wish.' Xyhoni leapt down, landing with extraordinary grace.