Chapter 10

We pulled up to my place and I couldn’t help but not smile. As excited as I was to be back home, especially since Keegan couldn’t stay still the whole way here, I couldn’t produce a legit smile. I grabbed Keegan’s bags and followed him up the stairs. I handed him the keys and before I could say a words he burst into the house like someone was chasing him.

I rolled my eyes grabbing the keys from the door. Atel appeared in front of me and waited patiently while I looked through the mail Mama forward to me.

“Check off, please.”

“Yes ma’am. We’re all set with the school you enrolled Keegan in. Background checks of every faculty and staff are already downloaded on the computer in your room. Quick question: are you going to be picking him up from school or would you like for him to ride the bus?”

“I’ll be picking him up. I don’t want him constantly looking over his shoulder like I was at his age.”

“Very well.”

“Did you set up his room?”

“According to what you told me he likes, yes. His room is painted, furniture is set, clothes and shoes in designated areas, bathroom essentials stocked, security system stable, hidden hand scanned computer in his room. All that is left is the stuff in your hands.”

“Thank you.”

I left Keegan’s stuff in the hallway and watched as he was still amazed of all the technology in the livingroom.

“Micah-” Atel hesitated, unsure of how to address what he wanted to ask.

“Just say it.”

“What happens when he comes across the training room or the weaponry? Are you going to tell him?”

“What it is I actually do for a living?” I asked, as I refused to take my eyes away from Keegan as Ioneos showed him his room. “Yes, just not with all the gruesome details.”

“But he’s just a child.”

“Yes, but a child who has been shot. Besides, he’s my child now. If he wishes to know, I will not lie to him.” I said before Keegan screamed my name in excitement.

I looked down to see him beaming up at me. “Is this all mine?”

“Of course. I know sharing rooms and other things at Mama’s is kind of hard when everyone is always going through your things but this is all yours.”

“Even the bathroom?”

I chuckled. “Even the bathroom, little man.”

“This is so cool!”

“That’s not even half of it.”

If his eyes could get any bigger, they would have at this point. “There’s more?!”

I beckoned him to follow me to the empty corner in his room. I knew I had his undivided attention as I knelt down and placed my hand on the wall at 90 degrees. The second I did that a light scanned my hand and flashed green making a holographic computer screen appear from the wall.

“WHOA!!!”

“Dope, huh?”

“Is this mine, too?”

“It’s in your room, dummy.”

“This is so cool!”

“You can thank Atel for your room.”

“You are like the coolest holographic computer person ever!” He exclaimed.

“I’m glad it is to your liking. Is there anything else I can do for you?”