Chapter 1

Alright, no one grab the last slice of pepperoni pizza because I want it " I heard some peppy blonde girl yell from the back of the line.

I hate girls like that. Always thinking they can make their claim on something.

"Next. And what are you having sweatheart?"asked one of the lunch ladies.

"Pepperoni pizza " I say proudly.

I heard the blonde girl scoff from behind me. I punch in my lunch number and move outside the kitchen area to get a bottle of water.

"That was a stupid move for you to pull on your first day of school. " said the girl from the lunch line.

"Ren, maybe she didn't hear you,she has headphones in"said one of her friends.

"Whatever, she's new so I'll give this piece of trash a break." said Ren.

"Maybe you should give the makeup a break, I almost mistook you for a rodeos clown. "

"Oh, so you can hear? That means you heard me when I said that pizza was mine." she said pointing at my plate.

"I'm sorry, did you mean this pizza?" I said as I picked up the slice and took a bite out of it.

"Hmm, a funny girl huh? Well, it looks like me and my girls are going to have to teach you a lesson." said Ren Ren with an evil smirk on her face.

I gently put my plate down and walked closer to Ren, so that we were now face to face. "A lesson?"I asked mockingly."If you want to fight me over a slice of pizza, then so be it. But it's only fair to warn you that I'm a professional MMA fighter skilled in jiu jitsu, karate, and any Kickboxing. And if you really want to fight me, I'm going to use every skill I have to knock your face in."

She paused as we were staring at eachother.

"Come on girls."said Ren with her eyes still fixated on me. "It's not worth ruining my $60 manicure."

Always the quantity never the quality, I think to myself. I pick up my tray and walk to an empty table in the back of the cafeteria. I push a button on my Mp3 player to listen to How to Save a Life by The Fray. I also reach into my bag for a novel I'm reading by Voltaire. What can I say? I'm not you're average teenager.

As I finish off the pizza, I pour some ranch on the side of my plate to dip my carrot sticks.

"What you did there was awesome."

I look up to see the face to match the voice. He was a teenager, about my age. He had dark brown straight hair, a simple facial complexion, and rectangular shaped glasses. He was sporting khaki pants with a blue and green striped shirt. Oh yeah, he's a nerd. My kind of person.

"Pardon? " I say giving him a small smile.

"No one ever stands up to Ren and I think that it's really cool that you did. It was like you were some sort of hero or something-"

"-woah woah woah. I'm no superhero. I just didn't like her behavior. Besides, who would I be defending? The pepperoni pizza." I say in a humerous tone.

The lunch bell rings and I pick my book off the table to put it ig my bag.

"You like Voltaire? " asks the guy sounding surprised.

"Yeah. I have a thing for the classics. I think they say something about the social structure of the world." I respond.

"You don't look like the type of girl to like that stuff."

"Well, what type of girl do I look like? "I ask holding back a laugh.

"I don't know. The cheerleading type. The kind that uses guys like me to do their homework. "

"What's your name?" I ask him.

"Arthur. Arthur Grace. " he responds shyly.

"Well, Arthur Grace. You have a lot to learn about me because I'm not like that at all. My name is Melanie by the way. Melanie Fischer. " I say reaching out my hand for him to shake it.

We exit the lunchroom together talking about classes and books snudgie tastes in music. Me and Arthur actually have a lot in common. I see definite potential in our friendship.

Not Your Average TeenagerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara