Chapter 30

Chapter 30

~Beau’s POV~

It was a forty minute drive from the closest airport to Shadowswood. Ves was driving once again with Lexa and me in the back. I was surprised to see a black sedan waiting for us after we got off the plane. The keys were in an envelope along with a map on how to get to Shadowswood. On normal missions I had someone meet me with my vehicle, but apparently Lucie wanted to avoid anyone having direct contact with me for the time being. I didn’t blame her at all.

I knew we were in Shadowswood the second that we entered the quaint little town. I had a love hate relationship with small towns. On one hand, they were small meaning that there was less of a chance of encountering a human during a shift. But with small towns the second you arrived, everyone knew which nearly evaporated all hope for those wanting to keep a low profile. It was doable, but it was extremely difficult. My usual black sedan was already leaving me with much curious attention from the town’s human population.  Their attention would probably have left had it not been for my enormous driver that completely filled out the driver’s seat, analyzing each and every face for signs of a threat.

“Why they all staring, Boss?”

“They aren’t used to visitors, Ves,” it was a true statement, yet even Ves could guess the more likely reason they kept their eyes peeled on our black retreating form. It took about five minutes to get to the pack house from the center of town and when we arrive there were two very familiar sights waiting for us. Ves pulled up and parked, stepping out of the car and standing to his full height. I watched amused as Dominic took a step back, getting into a fighting stance. Lucie glanced back from Ves back to the sedan she had waiting for me at the airport.

“Relax Dom, he’s friendly,” With her words, Ves engulfed her in his arms, swinging her around, which was a usual sight with people he liked.

“Put her down now!” Dom screamed at Ves as he tried to figure out how to get Lucie down. Apparently her previous statement had fallen on deaf ears.

“Relax Dom. I’m almost a hundred percent sure that this is a friend of Beau’s. He always talked about procuring a bodyguard, much like this fellow here. Can you put me down, Handsome?” Ves’s smile was bigger than I had ever seen it.

“Mr. Bowen right ‘bout you Lucie. You are real nice,” I felt color flood to my cheeks. Of course he would tell her about our little exchange before we left. Instead of ferretting over what Ves had just said, I opened the door. I wiped my face clear of all previous emotions and let an amused smirk once again flood my face. I was Beau Bowen, and it was about time that I started acting like it. The expression on Lucie’s face matched what I expected it to be; a mixture of regret and sorrow. It was an expression that I was not unused to getting. But for some strange reason, it seemed to surprise me that she was looking at me that way. Lucie’s expression changed completely when Lexa got out of the car.

“Lexi!” I think my mouth dropped as two stories at the sight of seeing Lucie express this much emotion about seeing someone. Dominic’s expression almost mirrored mine to t which almost caused me to laugh. It looks like I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t used to seeing this kind of reaction coming from Lucie.

“I haven’t seen you in ages! When I first heard that you were working with Beau I didn’t believe it, but then I remembered the reason why you and I got along so well in the first place. It was the same reason that I had liked Beauregard.” My usual cocky grin spread across my face and in seconds Lucie’s fist was hurled playfully into my shoulder. Even though it was a playful punch, it still hurt, but that must have been the new found strength that had come along with being a werewolf, I suppose.