Chapter Seven

Disclaimer - All recognisable characters belong to their original owners. I do not make a profit from writing this; I simply do it for my own amusement. No copyright infringement intended.

Chapter Seven

Bella

"It's a bad idea Rose," I told her as we pulled into the car park of Black's. Rose was insistent on helping Emmett tonight – something I didn't want her to do. I felt uneasy around him.

"Bella we need the money – we've been given an easy way to make it. Besides, you'll be there and so will Edward. Nothing bad is going to happen." I looked at her as she squeezed my hand in reassurance and clambered out the truck. I sighed and followed her inside, ready to start working.

Rose and I both stopped short when we saw a woman with her back to us at the counter. She had caramel coloured hair, a slender frame and a Black's uniform on.

"Guys," Jake said, calling us over. "This is Esme, she's the new waitress." Rose and both smiled as we approached her and she turned around.

"Hi, I'm Rose," my cousin said, shaking her hand and smiling at the pretty woman with the heart-shaped face.

"Nice to meet you," Esme said as she shook Rose's hand and then turned to look at me. Not only was she pretty, but she also had the kindest eyes I had ever seen. They were brown, but there was a warmth and a kindness to them that made me instantly feel comfortable around her.

"I'm, Bella," I told her and she gave me a smile.

"It's nice to meet you, Bella," she told me her smile even radiating warmth.

"You came at the right time," Rose began. "We've been getting swamped lately and could definitely use the help."

"That's why I'm here; I haven't worked since just before my son was born and when I saw the ad I thought 'why not?'"

"What's your son's name?" Rosalie asked her as we began to set the tables ready for the morning rush.

"Ethan, he just turned six months a week ago," Esme said, a smile lighting up her face when she talked about her son.

"I bet he's a cutie," I chipped in, imagining a small boy with Esme's caramel coloured hair and her brown eyes, a cheeky smile on his face.

"He's my whole world."

"Does your husband look after him when you're at work then?" Rose asked, laying some napkins out on the table. Esme froze.

"My partner didn't want him," Esme said sadly; her eyes not meeting ours. "He told me I had to choose between him and the baby. Ethan won of course." She gave us a small smile that we returned.

"I'm so sorry Esme," Rose said. "I didn't mean to upset you, especially as you've been working here for like, ten minutes."

Esme shook her head. "It's fine, honestly. I'm a single mom and I'm not ashamed. I'm lucky that I've found a babysitter who said she would look after him when I was working. In my hometown, nobody wanted to get involved. It's so nice to come here and meet so many nice people."

Rose and I both looked at each other – we probably shouldn't mention that there was a killer on the loose then. We'd already lost several waitresses to him already – we didn't need to lose another.

***

Esme was a good waitress – she knew what needed to be done before we could ask her to do anything and the customers loved her. Heck... Tyler loved her – and he can be a bitch to the newcomers.