Part 5

The next morning I woke up before dawn as usual. My first instinct was to sprint away and up my hill to watch the sunrise. But once my memory from the day before returned, I realized my hill wasn't here. I stood from under the tree and walked back out onto the plains. I didn't have the energy to run, but at least I could still watch the sunrise. I stood in the middle of the field and looked toward the horizon. The first sign of the sun came over the edge of the Earth. The sky began to light up and the world became alive. As I stood there, I thought of how my mother could possibly be up at this time, looking at the sky with tears in her eyes, wondering where I am. I tried to take in the morning air and get lost in the moment. But it wasn't the same.

I wasn't able to look behind me to see the specks of my herd out in the distance. I wasn't able to look down upon the world and imagine what it would be like when I become leader. All of that was gone. It all happened so fast. It wasn't fair. I forced a small smile as the sun greeted the world. I whinnied to the sky with less enthusiasm than usual. My moment was interrupted when I heard rustling behind me. I turned my head around just in time to see a mountain lion pouncing at me. I gasped and my heart jumped. I reacted quickly and jumped out of the way. He landed and turned to quickly swipe me and attempt to catch me in his claws. I jumped back again and took off in the opposite direction. I could hear him close on my trail behind me. I kicked my back hooves at him as I ran, but he was still able to keep his pace.

My legs were still sore from the day before, which restricted me from running at my full speed. It hurt too much. It hurt all over my body. My sprint was eventually slowed from the pain and the lion took this as an opportunity to jump on my back. His claws dug into my shoulder and I shrieked in pain. I stopped in my sprint and the lion attempted to reach up and grab my neck. I put my head down and began to buck. The lion grabbed onto me harder and refused to let go. Finally, I had no choice but to flip forward and land on my back. I crushed the lion under my weight and he howled in pain. I quickly stood and reared high above him, neighing loudly and kicking my front hooves. The lion moved just before I came down on his position with my sharp hooves. He stood and jumped forward, sinking his teeth into one of my front legs.

I could only imagine what it looked like as the lion latched onto my leg. I could see and feel as its teeth sunk into my skin, digging deeper and deeper as I tried to shake him off. I could see the skin tearing apart so easily, too easily. I could see my blood begin to ooze out of every tear. I could hear the muscle being ripped apart by the strong force of the lion's jaws. I could feel his teeth scrape against my leg bone as he began to slip off, taking a chunk of my skin and muscle with him. I could taste the metallic and salty flavor of my blood as I saw what looked to be a murder scene in his mouth, with his red-stained teeth and lips.

I screamed in agony and began to kick with my other hoof, successfully landing a hard blow on his eye. He let go immediately and roared in pain. Blood began to ooze down his cheek. At that, he turned and left as quickly as he came. I collapsed on the ground and attempted to catch my breath. I looked down at my leg to find the skin teared down to the bone. Red replaced the gold on my leg as blood poured from the wound. I lied in tears and agony for a long time before I decided to start my journey again before the lion comes back.