Part 2

" Angel, I need you to stay closer to the herd from now on."

     I was taken aback by this sudden rule. My ears dropped and I slowed my pace.

    "But... why? I don't understand," I wondered as my eyes met the ground.

    "I need you to stay closer to the herd so I don't have to focus my attention on you as much," she explained.

     I still didn't understand. The new rule issued by my mother affected me specifically, for she knew how much running and galloping around meant to maintaining my freedom.

    "But why now?" I questioned, finding myself stopped in my tracks.

     My mother turned and looked back at me. I could already see the guilt in her eyes.

    "You're a yearling now. You're less dependent on me. I don't have to keep such a watchful eye on you anymore. I don't have to worry about you as much."

     I looked up at her and met her gaze once more,"Why would you worry about me?"

     My mother's nostrils flared. I could tell she was getting irritated with my questions. She turned her body to face me.

    "I worry about you when you're out there hundreds of feet away from the herd. You're still young, you could easily get hurt. You know how there's mountain lions around here. Their main target are younglings like you. There's also storms that happen frequently, and if you're way out there during one, you could easily get separated."

     Her ears suddenly dropped and her mind seemed to wander. I looked back at the ground. I knew exactly what she was thinking about.

    "I don't want to lose you like I lost your father," her voice shook.

     I looked back up at her once more. Her eyes were glossed over from holding back tears. Despite how she felt, I wasn't going to give up my freedom that easily. I had to convince her.

    "I'll be careful, Mother. I promise," I tried.

    "I'm glad you'll be more careful, but I'm not changing my mind on this new rule."

     She turned away to continue her way to the herd. I followed behind, determined to change her mind.

    "But this is my freedom! I won't have as much space to run if I stay closer to the herd. You know how much I love to run!"

    "I'm sorry, Angel, but this must be done. Besides, if you're going to be leader one day, you can't go away from your herd like that. Trust me that this is the best for you," she explained.

     I couldn't help but agree with her on that. If I wanted to be like my father one day, then I had to start somewhere. There was one thing I absolutely couldn't give up though.

    "Will I still be able to watch the sunrises on my favorite hill?" I asked, innocently.

     My mother stopped in her tracks but kept her eyes ahead of her. Her ears swiveled to face me.

    "I suppose I could lead the herd closer to the hill," she decided.

     I smiled, partly satisfied. I felt that I could live with at least that. My mother continued her way again, and I followed behind once more, still taken aback by the new rule. When we reached the herd, we were greeted with whinnies and nuzzles. My mother did as she promised and led everyone closer to the hill. Once we reached its base, I returned to my spot at its peak and lay down for a moment. I needed to get used to the new rule.