Chapter 7: Ralts On In

En başından başla

"We're not babysitters!" Cassidy had almost shrieked, unable to hide her disgust at this order. Butch had a feeling it was less a matter of being insulted about tracking children, and more about their history of failing in defeating them. When Courtney had mentioned Ash Ketchum, it had made their blood boil. Even with this other young trainer, it had been an embarrassing showing.

"You'll follow your orders," Viktor had snapped back. "They're likely on their way to Petalburg City. Keep a close eye on them and update us on anything unusual."

After that, it was a bit of a blur, Butch and Cassidy gathering whatever materials they needed and setting off rather quickly. They weren't exactly sure of what their specific duties would be, but they both had a sneaking suspicion this was to keep them out of the loop on some of the more important operations running in Team Archaic. Butch had just been about to ask Cassidy what she thought about that, when she'd begun her rant as they rested on their way to Route 102, where their "targets" presumably were.

"If it hadn't been for that other brat, we'd have easily beaten her, and then we wouldn't be stuck running silly little babysitting errands!" Cassidy stomped her foot, crushing a berry that had fallen from the tree they were resting under. "What is the boss going to think now?!"

"Shh!" Butch hissed quickly, looking around nervously. He knew they were likely alone, but he did want to be careful about shouting out what they were truly in Hoenn for. "If they hear about what we're doing..."

"Then what?"Cassidy yelled, still not caring apparently. "Our mission for the boss is a failure already. Tracking children! Who do they think we are? Jessie and James? We're out of the loop on everything! All because of that little brat and all because of that greasy-haired fool!"

Butch scratched his neck nervously, exchanging another look with Raticate who simply seemed frozen in fear. "Do you think they figured us out? They could be putting us on this mission to trick the boss into sending more agents."

Cassidy shook her head, calming down a little bit as she seemed to consider this. "Viktor's the only one who might be able to figure out what we're doing, but he's not smart enough. He's more concerned about getting on Darwin's good side, and I doubt that old man cares one bit to even know our names. Courtney could figure us out, but she's been busy with the important operations."

"Too bad we couldn't work for her," Butch muttered, a mystified look coming over his face. "I definitely wouldn't mind- agh!"

"Don't be an idiot!" Cassidy shouted, stepping back after giving Butch a good kick in the side. "We'll never get high enough positions at this point. We may just have to call the boss for reinforcements. Unless that brat is actually a threat to Team Archaic, we're useless here."

Butch sighed, knowing they needed to get some help if they were to succeed in this operation. It was the biggest one Team Rocket had ever given them, so they needed to succeed. At least they'd acquired some information before this...demotion. Perhaps it would be enough for the boss to make a move. If that was the case, they'd be rewarded with the biggest bonus any Team Rocket member had ever received.

"Let's make the call," Cassidy muttered, grabbing her bag and pulling out the transmitter they used to contact the boss.

She clicked a couple of buttons and then a few moments later, a light shone upwards, an image appearing before them as Matori positioned herself in front of the screen. "Agents Boggs and Cassidy? We weren't expecting a report from you for another few weeks."

Butch was about to snap at her for saying his name wrong, but Cassidy spoke up quickly before he could say anything. "We have an important matter to discuss with the boss. It is in regards to our mission and he needs to be updated."