Chapter 12: Rebel Legends on How to Review

Jagermeanshunter

I honestly don't think I try to do anything really special. I just give the kind of feedback that I'd want to receive.

I think it starts with the smallest things. No one likes to re-read something they've worked really hard to write and find a bunch of goofy typos that we're all apt to make. So I start with pointing those out, but I also make sure I explain why it's a problem if I can and I'll give an example or a suggestion about how to fix it. That's generally what I save my inlines for.

The comment I leave at the end of each chapter tends to focus on more of the good aspects of the chapter since I used the inlines to talk about the things that can be improved. I'll say what I liked about the chapter (because there is ALWAYS at least one thing you can find to like). If there are any inconsistencies with the story line, yet another thing that happens to all of us, I'll just ask questions concerning the discrepancies. I find a lot of times asking a question helps the author think about it themselves and they can find the way to fix the problem that works best for them. Basically, it comes down to respect on the part of the reviewer and maturity on the part of the person getting reviewed. Remember that you signed up to have people pick your work apart, sometimes you're going to get comments that you don't like very much. At the same time, if you can't find a good way to say something, then don't.

That's really all I try to do:) Hope that helps and let me know if you want anything else!

katieishere

:) So some tips I would have are:

1. When you write a review, include both things you enjoyed about the chapter and what you think could be improved on. And explain the reasons why the good things worked, as well as why you thought certain things could be better.

2. When reviewing a chapter point out things you notice as you read. (Ex.: You've noticed that the dialogue is well written. The words and the flow the characters use when speaking to each other is really natural and the conversation feels real. Or, maybe you've noticed that there's a lot of repetitiveness in a certain spot and that you think it would help if some of the sentences were shortened at brought together. And then show them what you mean with an example.)

3.Remember that your review isn't there to make the author feel bad or good. It's there to help show them, and teach them. I like to think that the goal of my review is to help the author to be able to avoid making the same mistakes in the future and to be able to correct them without someone else having to point them out. A review is there to help the book's author better their writing skills.

The_Lotus_Eater

Repetitiveness: if you begin to notice the same type of error over and over again when going over a piece, be sure to list off the nature of the mistake along with the correction as well. This helps the author avoid future issues. For example, if you encounter someone using "use to" in lieu of "used to" all throughout a piece, see if you can (quickly) explain the error and how it can be avoided next time.

Time Management: the art of editing is very time consuming. I'm incredibly guilty of waiting until the very last minute to submit my edits. To avoid this, be /sure/ to set aside time each day to do pieces at a time. Schedules can suck, and this is a bit of a commitment, but it's a far better alternative than working from Saturday night into early Sunday morning trying to get all the work done.

CC and you: Constructive criticism is the nature of this entire game. Let it be known, most people do not like confrontation. Some time or another, you're going to be in a situation where you might have a comment that seems too scathing. Whatever you do, don't write it off and play the nice guy. There's a proper way to give constructive criticism and still be polite. When giving feedback, start with the positives and the things that resonated with you. After that, start listing off your gripes and (constructive) criticisms. Finally, include a summary of the improvements that can be expected if the criticisms are acted upon, as well as a reiteration of the positive comments from earlier. This is the bare-minimum skeleton of a final critique, and I urge you to play with it and make it work for your style of review.

Diversity: I'm not going to force you to read anything you don't feel like reading, but I strongly advise that you apply for as many categories possible. Even if you hate romance with a fiery passion, still offer to review it. There's a lot to be learned from the things we tend to avoid. Try and keep an open mind!

jeff_bond

I'm not sure how much advice you're looking for ... maybe I'll just start writing and see where it ends up.

1) Find the positive. Every story on Wattpad has something good about it. Even if the grammar is rough, even if the characters and plot are cliche -- there is some element that's admirable. Raw emotion. The core premise. Banter coming from one particular character. Find that element and point it out.

Why? It's nice, first off, but even if you don't care about being nice -- everybody gets to decide who they want to be online -- if you want your advice to help, you need to build a rapport with the writer you're reviewing. If the writer sees you connecting with some aspect of their work, they'll be more receptive to the suggestions you do make. When every comment is negative, they're going to write you off. "They just don't get my stuff." "They're just a hater." We all do this when we feel our work is under attack.

2) You don't have to fix or try to fix anybody's writing. If you feel you're experienced and/or knowledgeable enough to advise large changes, that's great. But keep in mind there are lots of ways to help a writer that don't involve suggesting fixes. "This really changed how I imagined this character." "I like him a lot less after this." "This part is so intense," or "Honestly, I'm a little lost right now." Any reader, at any age or expertise, can give these kinds of responses. They are extremely responsible. They help writers understand how their manuscript is working, where it's working -- and where it's not. The comments are an easy way to be positive (or at least neutral) and provide helpful information.

 The comments are an easy way to be positive (or at least neutral) and provide helpful information