"What was it like being in a tunnel?" Chalna asked in a soft voice.

"It was... harder than I expected," Jira admitted, looking down at her hands. She didn't want her mom to think that she couldn't handle going down into the tunnels, but she couldn't hide from the fact that she only thought of her father while she was there. Chalna shifted closer to her and put her hand on Jira's knee.

"But do you regret going?"

Though it brought back memories of her father and reminded Jira of her loss, she felt useful and valued and it gave her the taste of adventure that she longed for. Jira shook her head, sensing the hint of hot tears coming to her eyes.

Chalna ran her fingers through Jira's wet hair and smiled. "That's what I thought... I know your dad would have loved to have been there with you."

Jira looked up at her mom and smiled through her tears. Chalna seemed to have a harder time talking about her husband to her children than she did with others, so it wasn't very often that Jira and her brothers got to talk about him with their mom.

"What was it like? When you met him?"

Chalna laughed. "Hmmm... well honestly, things were a bit tense at first, what with the Galra coming to Eioa without warning. Many Eioans didn't want us here, which I can understand their worry. But they were admittedly fascinated with us; your dad included. But they had only known the bad things that the Galra had done. It was an adjustment for everyone."

"How did dad act when he first met you?"

"He had just gotten back from a scouting mission- he was new to the Elites at that time- and came back to Cadamur where we had met with Drundlo." Chalna smiled to herself as she spoke. "He warmed up to us quickly and was curious as to what we were doing there. He offered to escort us to the Kafa after things with Drundlo went well. But for a while after coming to Eioa, we always had security around because there were still those who didn't want us there. Your dad was stationed at the Kafa for that, and that's how we got to know each other."

Jira pulled her legs up to her chest and rested her chin on her knees. She loved talking to her mom about her dad; it actually helped ease the pain of losing him.

"What was he like when he was younger?" Jira asked.

"I see a bit of him in you and your brothers," Chalna said, her voice thick with emotion. "He was curious and dutiful, and intuitive... and he loved making people laugh."

"When... when did you know that you loved him?"

"He never treated me differently because of my race," Chalna said softly. "... I loved him long before I admitted it to myself or him."

"Why didn't you tell him sooner?"

"Because that sort of thing is complicated," Chalna smiled. "Even when it seems straightforward... but if I've learned anything, it's that you should tell people how you feel about them, because you'll always regret it more if you don't."

"Hmm." Jira started braiding her hair. While she was still young, she had a couple of relationships in the past. It was nothing serious with any boy, and looking back on it, she knew she never talked about them in the way that her mom spoke about her dad. She wanted that. She wanted to know what it was like to feel that kind of love for someone else. Jira was glad that her mom had opened up to her more because she craved her guidance and wanted to talk more about her dad. She also wanted to bring up to her that she had been thinking a little about the Blade and what it could offer her, but she feared to ruin the precious moment that they were sharing; she would save that for another day. Jira leaned forward and hugged her mom.