17: A World of His Own

The silence between the pair stretched on before Chu Yeguang finally broke out into a chuckle. "Alright, this prince understands! I won't pressure you anymore!"

Who's pressuring whom?! Mei Yanran silently shouted in her head. I'm the one pressuring you to forget about me!

Out of nowhere, Chu Yeguang whipped out a fan and started fanning it gently against his chest despite it being the middle of winter. "Miss Mei, I'll make no secret of my feelings. Your dance at the Snow Festival was a truly wonderous thing. Even now, this prince recalls the splendid vision of your form!"

Good grief, is he confessing to me? Mei Yanran's alarm was slowly turning into mounting horror. No, no, go away. "You praise me over much, Your Highness."

"You praise yourself too little!" Chu Yeguang snapped his fan shut for emphasis. "Miss Mei, this prince has heard your wish at the palace, and hopes to fulfill it of my own accord. Consider it a favor from Your Highness!" He stepped to the side next and gestured grandly to the cart behind him. It was piled high with long, shapeless bundles covered by a large burlap cloth.

In spite of herself, Mei Yanran leaned forward to take a peek. This is...?

"Eighteen young plum blossom trees!" Chu Yeguang declared as his retainer lifted a corner of the burlap. "Nine from the west and nine from the south, ready to plant and bloom this winter!"

"What...?" Mei Yanran blurted out.

Chu Yeguang only grinned. "Miss Mei, weren't you preparing a dance for imperial grandmother next year? Rather than visit some upstart official's estate, why not enjoy these blossoms from the comfort of your own home?"

Mei Yanran felt her eye twitch. Ling Fengxiao's not some 'upstart official,' but the future Prime Minister! You watch your mouth! "With all due respect, Your Highness, Yanran has already given Esteemed Empress Dowager her word. It has also been Yanran's dream to see the Winterflower Woods for herself, so Yanran wouldn't miss the chance for the world."

"Ah, but Miss Mei," Chu Yeguang took a step forward, causing Mei Yanran to instinctively grab the door. "Will you not allow this prince to show you a glimpse of my world?"

"Yanran seeks nothing quite so grand, Your Highness."

Chu Yeguang frowned slightly, before spreading out his arms. "Even if I bring its splendor right to your doors?"

Is he talking about the trees or himself now? Mei Yanran thought distractedly, before plowing on with her spiel. "A flower forced to bloom against its will lives only briefly, Your Highness. Yanran aims to see the blossoms awaken of their own accord. May Your Highness understand."

Chu Yeguang visibly drooped as his eyes narrowed in thought. Worried that he'd come up with more nonsense if she waited, Mei Yanran added, "Your Highness, you promised that you wouldn't pressure me anymore."

Chu Yeguang's gaze flew up, seeming to burn through her veil. "Are you making demands of this prince?"

"Yanran wouldn't dare. Yanran only knows that as crown prince, Your Highness is a man of his word."

Although Chu Yeguang knew this was less a compliment and more of a reminder, he was pleased by her speech nonetheless. "So I am, so I am!"

It was at this moment a cold blast of wind blew past them both. The servant by Mei Yanran's side gave a sneeze, while Mei Yanran herself clutched her robes to guard against the chill. The sudden stir lifted the edges of her veil, allowing Chu Yeguang a glimpse of her face.

She wore no makeup---a marked contrast to the ladies he knew from the imperial harem and the local brothels. The only trace of color were in her faint pink cheeks and finely sculpted brows, as well as the glint of surprise in her wide brown eyes. Those pale lips were parted in a small 'oh' and looked delightfully soft and tender.