5: An Unexpected Trip

Most of the guests had already assembled when Mei Yanran and her family arrived, so it didn't take long for the banquet to officially began. First there was the arrival of the empress dowager at the head of the feast---much bowing and greetings were given. Then came the emperor and empress---again, more bowing, more greeting, and a respectful toast of wine drank between sovereign and his subjects. (Mei Yanran opted for tea instead.)

Being the female child of an official, Mei Yanran was actually sitting behind her father so as to remain modestly secluded from the rest of the hall. Daughters like herself were treated as the jewel to their families, to be sheltered and protected until they were ready to marry out of the family. A good chunk of the time was actually dedicated to eating and drinking while the guests got comfortable with the palace. By the sides of the audience hall were court musicians playing on their instruments, adding an air of tranquility to the entire scene.

Etiquette decreed that the guests couldn't start or finish their meal before the emperor, so Mei Yanran only took modest bites of the dishes, mentally reviewing her dance moves. The piece she was performing was one she'd practiced for her school competition last year---and thus a dance she was intimately familiar with. After adapting the music to traditional Chinese instruments and making the goddess help her find the proper set pieces and players, she was more than ready to take it to the stage.

Of course, that would have to wait until the empress dowager officially announced the beginning of the Snow Festival Talent Exhibition. The competition served two purposes for the participants: 1) noble daughters could showcase their skills to the upper echelons of society, thus earning a favorable name for themselves and their future marriage prospects 2) any girl who participated in the exclusive event was sure to raise the status of their families, to say nothing of the one who won the event. Then there was the coveted wish granted by the empress dowager. There were no limits to the requests as long as the wish was deemed appropriate and feasible.

In the past, various girls had requested a token of favor from the empress dowager---usually resulting in gifts of jewelry or some other palace treasure, or perhaps for the old matron to accept their gifts instead---on behalf of their family, of course. There was one well-known case where a girl had asked the dowager to pardon a member of her family who'd been injustly accused with the evidence to prove, thus opening the investigation to a decades-long case that exposed a corruption scandal in the court. If Mei Yanran recalled correctly, that girl had been the female lead's grandaunt on her father's side, and one of the reasons the Wei Clan was so prominent now for being upright members of court.

But that was all in the past. Mei Yanran blinked sleepily as the banquet dragged on, before quickly sipping another cup of tea to keep herself awake. She'd forgotten how long things like this could drag on for in real-time. The novel hadn't spent more than a few paragraphs setting up the competition, but here she had hours to wait! Taking advantage of her semi-concealed spot, she slowly stretched out a leg. Unfortunately, it was at that moment that a figure passed by, nearly tripping over the end of her ankle.

Mei Yanran's quick reflexes allowed her to grab the arm beneath the fluttering sleeves brushing past her face, saving the would-be victim from a nasty fall.

"Are you alright?!" she exclaimed in a hushed whisper as she looked up---only to freeze.

Standing above her, face flushed from the sudden surprise, was none other than the female lead. Wei Wanru blinked twice before her eyes settled carefully on Mei Yanran's hand. Realizing that she was still gripping the girl's arm like her dance room barre, Mei Yanran quickly drew back with a sheepish smile.

"Sorry, I was trying to get more comfortable. You were so quiet that I didn't hear you at all!"

"It's all right," the female lead nodded back politely. She didn't try to get friendly, but simply straightened out her clothes and left Mei Yanran with a faint smile. "Thank you for catching me."

"Ah? Oh, oh right. I would've done it any other time, too," Mei Yanran rambled on, ignoring the pounding of her heart. Thank goodness she didn't fall! The last thing I need is to injure the female lead before her main debut!

Wei Wanru's polite smile cracked into something more genuine. "I would hope this doesn't happen more than once."

"Uh---yeah, me too! Once is enough, once is enough," Mei Yanran nodded furiously in agreement.

Wei Wanru laughed softly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Little sister, this must be your first time at the palace, right?"

Afraid of saying more stupid things, Mei Yanran kept her mouth shut and bobbed her head up and down.

"It's mine as well. There's no need to be nervous, though---His Majesty and Esteemed Empress Dowager are both beloved by the people." Wei Wanru waited nicely for Mei Yanran to say something, but only got wide-eyed staring in reply.

That's because she's too beautiful! Did they CGI her face?! I can't even see a single blemish on that skin!

Unreal. Is this the power of the so-called female lead?!

Mei Yanran was still lost in her thoughts when Wei Wanru graciously gave up to retreat. "Well then, I still have to get my instrument for the performance later. Let's part ways for now."

"Ah---" Mei Yanran finally woke up when Wei Wanru started walking away. "G-goodbye! Good luck with your zither!"

Wei Wanru paused to give her a quizzical look. "Thank you, but...how did you know I'm playing the zither?" It wasn't exactly common knowledge, and she'd never put on any performances even back at home. Today should be her first time showcasing her skills.

Urk.

"I..." Mei Yanran thought fast, her eyes darting to Wei Wanru's fingers. "I guessed from your hands! Because...you have short nails!" There were music majors in her dance academy too, ones who specialized in traditional instruments. If she recalled correctly, cutting nails was a necessity in mastering those stringed instruments.

"So I do," Wei Wanru lifted her sleeve to examine her fingers with interest. Then she smiled. "That was still a good guess. Little sister, you have sharp eyes!"

By the time Wei Wanru left, Mei Yanran was mentally berating herself for her loud mouth. I really need to watch what I say! Just because I'm a know-it-all doesn't mean they all need to know it...gahh!