four

WALKING TO COULSON'S OFFICE WAS QUITE A DREADFUL WALK FOR LIAM

WALKING TO COULSON'S OFFICE WAS QUITE A DREADFUL WALK FOR LIAM. He didn't know what would come out of this talk. Was Coulson pulling him out of the field before he even got in it? Still in his sweaty workout clothes, Liam slowly approached the door that lead to Coulson's office before knocking on the door. A voice ushered him in, so he slowly entered after being called in. "You wanted to see me, sir?" He asked after entering.

Seeing Coulson turn around and face him, Liam swallowed a lump in his throat before gesturing to one of the seats in front of his desk. "Agent Conrad, please have a seat," he offered.

Huh, Agent Conrad. Liam didn't know that he missed hearing that title until he heard it. Agent Conrad. Taking a seat on one of the seats farthest from the desk, Liam sat as Coulson took a seat at the edge of the corner of his desk that is closest to him. "I will be out of town for a few days, Fury and I are going to be working on a project together."

"Am I allowed to know what this project is, sir?" Liam asked curiously, his eyebrows raised in curious state before shuffling slightly in the leather seat.

Inhaling heavily, Coulson rubber his chin with one of his hands before shaking his head. "All you need to know is that I will be out of town with Fury, so I will need someone to look after the base."

The agent nodded his head slowly at the words before looking up with wide eyes as he soaked in the words spoken to him. "Wa-Wait...you want me to–?"

"No, of course not," Coulson shook his head at Liam's question, "I assigned Agent May to take my position while I am gone, but I will need someone to keep her in check."

"So, you want me to keep her in check?" Liam asked, exhaling as Coulson nodded. He could see why he assigned Liam. May absolutely despises him, so having him keeping her in check sounds like a good idea. "How long will you be gone for, sir?"

"Hopefully no longer than a week if things go smoothly," Coulson answered before standing from his spot on the desk, moving to face a window behind his desk.

He nodded at his boss's words, clearing his throat before standing. "Am I free to go, sir?"

Coulson turned and faced Liam, looking him up and down before nodding his head. "Yes, you're free to go. Hey," his sudden call made Liam freeze, turning around after exiting the chair, "take a shower, you smell disgusting."

~•~

After the meeting with Coulson and showering, Liam changed into some comfortable clothes and wandered around the Bus, only to find Fitz working on some sort of device. "What are you working on now?" He asked, making his presence known as he walked up to his friend's side. Fitz glances up at him, and they give each other a friendly smile before he looked back at the device in front of him.

"Oh, this?" He gestured to the device, Liam nodding his head in reply. "Well, it's supposed to uh...uh...it's supposed to...uhm..."

A frown pulled down on Liam's slightly chapped lips. He didn't force Fitz or say anything that would push him. He needed to give him time, to let him think, so Liam just stood by and watched as his friend tried to remember. "Sorry, I just-"

"It's fine, Fitz," Liam spoke, smiling. "We'll see what it can do on the field, okay?"

He nodded his head and set the object down, running a hand through his hair before looking back up at Liam. "So, how are you getting adjusted?" Fitz asked.

Liam inhaled sharply as he crossed his arms over his chest. Everything felt familiar to Liam. The environment around him, the people, but something just felt off. He just couldn't put his finger on it. Instead of explaining how he felt, the agent just shrugged his shoulders slightly and cleared his throat. "I'm getting situated well, actually. Guess everything just feels like home, considering I spent a good majority of my time here."

"Good, yeah, that's good," Fitz replied, nodding as he wiped his hands on a dirty cloth that laid on a nearby table, "and how's Saige?"

Liam wasn't surprised that he knew about his little sister, he talked about her a lot. From sharing stories with the team to showing them photos and videos, the man always talked about her. Maybe it was his way of overcoming homesickness, or maybe it was just because he was proud of her. Hell, it may be a bit of both. Either way, he still always talked about her. "She's good, yeah, she's at her college right now. She's majoring in becoming a teacher, but she won't tell me the subject. It's a surprise or something."

Saige was always the one for having surprises or something of the sort, they were just her thing. It was probably how she wins at their prank wars every year. "I wouldn't be surprised if it was a surprise, knowing her," Fitz added.

Hearing a door open and close, Liam turned around and faced the opening, seeing Jemma walking out with a bag slung over her shoulders. "What're you doing?" Fitz questioned.

"Oh, Fury is taking Coulson and I to a base for a mission...you didn't know?" Jemma answered, looking between the two.

Of course Liam knew about it, he just didn't know that Jemma was joining him. He should've seen it coming, however. "Uhm, no. I actually didn't know that you were going with him."

"Wait, you knew?" Fitz asked, his eyebrows raised in surprise as he looked between them. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was instructed not to, Fitz. I'm so sorry," Jemma apologized, sending him a sympathetic smile before inhaling sharply. "I'll be back before you know it, yeah?"

After Jemma gave both boys a quick hug goodbye, Fitz exhaled softly as he shook his head. "It's not anything dangerous, right?" He questioned Liam. "You're the one who met with Coulson."

Liam considered the question, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans as he considered the question. To be honest, he wasn't sure. Since Fury is involved with it, there could be some risk to it, but he truthfully didn't know. "I'm not sure, to be honest with you," Liam answered softly, turning to Fitz with a small reassuring smile. "Jemma will be safe, though. She can take care of herself."

"I know, yeah, I know," Fitz agreed, nodding his head. "I know."

As silence swelled over them, the agent reached his friend's side as he looked over the device once again, exhaling. "So, why don't we figure out what this does, huh?"

A/N -

Yes! This story does tie in with my Clint Barton fanfiction, Hero! In case you are confused with what the project is exactly, you'll find out more about it over there!
How are you guys enjoying Inevitable so far? Don't forget to comment your thoughts and vote!