10

Entering the house with Charlie in front of her Hattie stared wide-eyed as her father stood in the hall, his arms folded across his body

Entering the house with Charlie in front of her Hattie stared wide-eyed as her father stood in the hall, his arms folded across his body. Charlie took his coat off, hanging it up ad entered the living room, sitting beside Tonks.

"Where was she, Charlie?" Sirius asked him, not taking his eyes off of the girl for a second.

"Coming back from the village, her friends said that some old lady wouldn't let them, talking about her cats and things." Charlie lied, confusing Hattie. Why was he lying for her?

Sirius nodded, "It would have been nice for you to let me know where you were going." He said to her.

"Sorry." Hattie mumbled, not meaning it one bit. "I thought you didn't want to do anything for your birthday, is that why? So you could visit your friends instead of spending time with your family?"

"Sirius-"

"No Lily! How would you like it Harriet if one of us did it to you?" Sirius raised his brows, his voice raising.

"I wouldn't care. It's your birthday you do as you want." Hattie told him, no emotion in his voice.

Sirius shook his head in disbelief, "you're grounded. Go to your room." He pointed up the stairs.

"What?!"

"Harriet! Room! Now!" Sirius bellowed.

Hattie stormed up the stairs and when she was out of sight she flipped him off, slamming her bedroom door behind her. She sighed, sliding down the door onto the floor and it was then she realised she had left her blade in the field. She groaned and hit the bedroom door with her elbow and she was sure she was heard from downstairs.

"Sirius what happened to not punishing her on her birthday? She was with her friends who she doesn't see all year round, and they couldn't get away from a pensioner who was talking to them. Why did you ground her?" Asked Tonks as Sirius sighed, sitting in the sofa.

"She was backchatting."

"Like you didn't as a child." Commented James. "That's great way to finish off her birthday and the holidays. Well done, mate. She's not going to be a happy bunny at all." James clapped him on the shoulder.

"She has to learn not to backchat." Sirius returned, rubbing his chin.

Molly shook her head at the man, "Sirius, dear, when has she ever done anything wrong? She never acts like this. I'm sure it was a spur of the moment thing."

The man sighed, "Why do you have to be right?" He asked her, "I'm going to talk to her."

"Leave her." Said Charlie. "She knee she had done wrong when we were walking back. Just give her a while, she thinks you are angry."

Sirius nodded and leaned against James So was reading the newspaper.

* * *

Upstairs, Hattie had snuck out of the bedroom and into the bathroom, opening the cupboards scavenging for a razor. She pulled out different toiletry items until she came across one lone razor in a packet. Stuffing it into her pocket she put everything back and flushed the toilet in case anyone heard her.

She left the bathroom and bumped into Harry. "Hattie, are you okay?" He asked her.

She nodded and pushed past him, entering her room and shutting the door in his face. Ignoring what she had done, Harry pushed the door open and found her on her bed staring up at the ceiling. He closed the door and sat beside her on the bed.

"Your dad was just worried."

"Didn't have to ground me did he?" Hattie replied stating up at the ceiling still. Thankful she had managed to slip the razor under bed before Harry entered, knowing he wouldn't just leave her be.

Harry scooched up the bed, luckily not having any shoes on, and laid down beside Hattie. The light was off and the curtains closed leaving the room dark. "He'll come around, just because his name is Sirius doesn't mean he is. He's far from it." Harry told her.

"But he shouted. He's never shouted at me like that." Said Hattie rolling onto her side so that she was facing Harry. Harry wrapped his arms around her and pulled her by her waist closer to him.

"Like I said, he was worried. We all were. We didn't know you were going out today. Hattie, you've been going out a lot this summer. He just wanted to know that you were okay."

"I was."

I wasn't.

"We know that now, but we didn't then." Harry stated.

Hattie sighed and cuddled into her godbrother's chest. She closed her eyes letting the feeling of falling take over her as sleep came upon her. Hattie was strange, she was able to fall asleep very quickly, it was probably her love for not wanting to be awake that was the cause.

Harry held onto the girl as she slowly fell asleep. This wasn't the girl he remembered growing up with. He hadn't really noticed it until now, she was not as happy and cheery as she did back then. He rarely saw he smile and that was one thing that she used to always do. Smile.

Leaning back a little, he studied her face. Despite, sleeping a lot, she still had dark circles under her eyes. He ran his thumb over her cheek and she buried her head into his hand like a small puppy.

"Happy birthday, Hattie." Harry said softly before settling down better and closing his eyes.