How Did I Not See This Coming

"He was what?" Sanaa asked me with her eyes open wide, looking over at my computer.

"He was apparently shot in that school shooting at McKinley High." I tell them.

"Man that's some crazy shit, I remember hearing about that on the news." Jonah tells me.

"Yeah I remember my dad being so scared, he was almost in tears, because one of his friends son goes there, but I don't think he got hurt." I said to them.

"It says here that he was in a coma, I'm glad to see he's out of it though." Sanaa said looking through the article.

"The crazy thing is, I don't think I ever seen his face, and none of the articles I've seen shows his face so where do I know him from?" I tell them.

"Maybe this is the friend's son your dad was talking about?" Jonah asked.

"Yeah I thought so, but he's being weird about it, so I haven't gotten any answers about it."

"Tavion maybe he didn't want this to happen, maybe Tavion didn't want anybody to know what happened, I don't think it's right that we're over here gossiping about this dude, when he's been through hell these last few months." Shaun said speaking for the first time.

We all knew he was right so Sanaa changed the conversation.

"So are you ready for tonight?" she asked me.

"Oh yes I think because of that radio interview more people are interested in learning about what we can do." I tell her.

"Well that's good but I was talking about your date with Damien." She said and before I could answer Shaun stood up.

"Aight ya'll I gotta go, got an essay to write, see ya'll at dinner." He said before walking off.

"Okay bye Shaun." I said but I was sure he didn't hear me because he was already walking out the dining hall.

"What's his problem?" I asked them.

"You already know, lemme catch up to him, I need to ask him about something." Jonah said getting up and running out before we could say anything too.

"Men." Sanaa said to me laughing.

"Straight men." I said and we both died laughing.

"So you're getting asked out on the radio, that must've shocked you." She said smiling at me.

"Did you know he liked you?"

"No I didn't even know he was gay until that happened, and I was shocked I almost froze." I said chuckling.

"So do you like him?"

"I don't know Sanaa, I really don't know Damien like that, I mean he's cute and all but I don't know if we'd be good together."

"Jace, this is the first date, you at least owe him that first date so you can actually see for yourself if this is a person you would like." She said to me.

"I know Sanaa, and also what if he doesn't like me, I don't even know if I know what it feels like to be in a relationship anymore, especially after my breakup with Bryan last year."

"Have you seem him around this year?"

"No but I heard he is here, and if he's here he will be at the meeting tomorrow."

"So what do you think about seeing him tomorrow, you know he's gonna be there right?"

"I don't know, I don't want anything to pop off at this event, because this can make or break us at this point, and I don't want to let my problems with my ex interfere with the problem at hand."