The Good Luck Charm

Start from the beginning

"Are you trying to hint I should ask him out?" Diane replied. "Well... he's a good guy. But uncompatibile. I like him as a bro, but dating him..."

"That's not what I was trying to say. I just think Augustus is way too much responsible. For long years, he had to take care of Annie. He's not used to meeting people, but he deserves to have someone. Does it make sense? I mean... nobody deserves to be alone."

"I honestly can't imagine Gus as a party animal."

At the first glance, Augustus Lightfoot really looked antisocial and grumpy. However, both sisters knew he hides much more. Diane was able to expose his funny, friendly personality while Alexis revealed his gentle, sensitive side. All connected by undying love for his younger sister.

Alexis changed the subject. "Shortly, me and Annie will have our first anniversary."

Diane raised her eyebrows. "You are together for so long already?"

"Yeah, I also find it unbelievable. Last year, we were together almost every day. Well, except..." Alexis sighed, referring to the incident several months ago where they briefly broke up bue to the intervention of Johannes Crestian, an immortal Trimort who tried to turn Anna against Alexis and the others.

After Crestian fell, nothing else got in Alexis and Anna's way. They lived happy, peaceful life as a couple - exactly what Alexis was wishing for. Regarding their paranormal investigator job, they only got three clients. In all cases, the haunting was proven to be fake.

"See this guy over there?" Diane pointed at one of the cars. "Watch me overtake him."

"Diane, ple..." Alexis started, but it was too late. Diane shot forth, navigating through the traffic and ultimately getting in front of the desired car. Upon passing the driver's window, Diane blew him a kiss.

"You really shouldn't be doing that," Alexis noted.

"Why not?" Diane smirked. The driver opened the window and leaned from it. "You suicidal bitch!" he yelled. "Did you learn to drive in Grand Theft Auto?"

Diane turned around and gave him a sweet smile. "Kinda!"

<<>>

Diane finally parked the bike in front of the block of flats they lived in. "Another happy landing!" she yelled, taking off the helmet.

Alexis wasn't so jolly. After dismounting from the bike, she walked like her legs were wooden for a minute. Her arms also hurt since she was clenching Diane so hardly. Her head was spinning.

"I'll never stop cursing the day Gray Forrestal gave you this," she muttered, looking at the bike.

Diane shook her head. "You're, like, the only person ever who minds some speed."

"I don't mind some speed. But you are being suicidal, there's no other explanation."

The girls used the elevator which took them to their flat. They were there alone since Gwendolyn Pearl, their mother, left for Philadelphia for several weeks. She promised she'll return before Christmas. Even though the girls were used to living alone, the flat now felt empty without the woman.

"Lex? Cook something," Diane said. "Your sis hungry is."

Alexis took off her jacket and collapsed on the couch. "Cook something yourself, I spent all day at the lectures and now I'd like to rest a bit with a book."

"We got used to mom a lot, right?"

"Yeah, we did."

In the end, Alexis made some spaghetti and after consuming the dinner, she could finally retreat to her room with a book that didn't contain only facts. Before reading, however, she thought about the upcoming anniversary. Does Anna remember it? Should she buy her a gift?