Twenty-Seven: Wonderful Morning

Jen sat in her wheelchair, her gaze fixed on her wedding dress across the room. She insisted on walking down the isle with her stepfather, instead of letting him roll her wheelchair. Lana and Julia shared the title of Maid of Honor, and Josh was Colin's best man. Jen's bridesmaids were Ginny, Emilie, Bex. Hailee was her flower girl, and Evan was ring bearer. Colin's groomsmen were Jack, Jared, and Sean. The wedding was perfectly planned. Jen was hoping to keep her tears at bay, though she knew she wouldn't. This would be the best, and one of the last days of her life. Or so she thought. While Lana was doing her makeup, her phone rang.

"It's the hospital." Bex called. Jen held her hand out for the phone, nerves settling in her stomach.

"Hello." She said weakly.

"Hello, is this Jennifer Morrison?" A cheery woman asked.

"Yes, it is." Jen replied.

"I'm calling to inform you that we've found a donor lung that will fit you perfectly, we just need to schedule an appointment." The woman explained. Jen dropped the phone and cried into her hands, her makeup was the last of her worries right now.

"Sorry, do you have any openings next week?" Jen asked.

"Wednesday at four work?" The nurse asked.

"Perfect." Jen replied. She hun up the phone and gave Lana the biggest hug she possibly could.

"They found a donor. I just have to live till Wednesday at four." Jen sobbed. Lana held her tight. Other than Colin, she had taken the news the worst.

"I can't believe it." Lana sobbed.

"I have to tell Colin." Jen instantly turned, but was reminded of her weak legs when she almost fell back. She sat in her chair and rolled towards the door.

"That's bad luck." Emilie reminded her.

"To hell with bad luck, we've been through so much, I think we can have today." Jen replied, waving Lana over to open the door. Lana obeyed, and Jen rolled to the guys room. Josh opened the door, but didn't let her in.

"I'm not allowed to let you in. Strict orders from the groom." Josh announced.

"Let me in, I'm terminally ill." Jen insisted.

"I was told you'd say that." Josh shrugged. Jen motioned got him to lean down so that she could whisper in his ear.

"They found a donor." She whispered. He stepped aside and let her in, without a single word. She stood out of the chair and into Colin's arms, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Jen, I told Josh to kick you out!" Colin explained.

"I told him some news." Jen replied. Colin looked at her eyes, seeing pure happiness for the first time in a while.

"What?" He asked.

"They found me a donor." She replied, a huge grin on her face. He kissed her, almost immediately. When they pulled away, he picked her up and spun her around.

"You're going to be OK!" He exclaimed. She nodded and he put her down gently, wrapping his arms around her waist. She buried her head in his neck, a huge smile on her face.

"I am." She replied.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you more." She replied.

"You have to go back." Colin muttered, pulling back.

"One more kiss." She insisted. He pressed his lips to hers gently, trying to somehow channel all of his love into one kiss.

"Be good." He teased, placing a kiss on her forehead. She smiled and rolled herself out of the room, into the one where her friends were waiting with her dress. She smiled and placed a hand on the skirt of her dress.

"Come on, let's finish your makeup first, they're unbuttoning it." Lana smiled. After any sign of tears was erased from her eyes, she quickly rolled over to her friends. With the big waist, it took both Lana and Julia to help her into the dress. As soon as it was on, she felt like a princess. The top of the strapless dress fit her body perfectly, even after she lost so much weight because of her cancer, the dress fanned out at the waist, and it was pretty big. She wished Emma wore things this beautiful instead of her red leather jacket. Her heels felt useless, no one could see them anyways. Her blonde hair was half up in a braid, curled, and she ran her fingers across the material of her dress.

"Wow." She whispered, tears filling her eyes. For a moment, she forgot all about cancer, her scars, everyone around her, and even Hailee. Today was hers. She fanned her face, hoping to keep her tears at bay. She couldn't cry before the wedding even started!

"You look amazing." Julia smiled, placing a hand on Jen's bare shoulder.

"Not helping!" Jen giggled. Ginny knocked on the door, meaning she probably had Hailee to get dressed. Julia opened it, and all of her friends flooded in, along with her mother.

"Oh, Jennifer." Judy whispered.

"Mom, you're going to make me cry!" Jen exclaimed, a wave of cold suddenly overtaking her body. She breathed out shakily and felt her knees weakening. She grabbed Julia's arm for support, then sat down in her wheelchair.

"Someone wants to see you!" Ginny exclaimed. Hailee reached her arms out for her mother. She was nine months old now, and it was amazing, but terrible and scary, all at the same time.

"Mamamama," Hailee squealed, once on her mother's lap. Jen gasped and held the baby's hand.

"Did you say 'mama'?" She asked, then realized she was talking to a nine month old baby.

"Mama! Mama!" Hailee repeated. Jen kissed the baby's forehead and held her close.

"Yes, baby, I'm your mama." She whispered. Hailee reached for her aunt again, but that was enough time with the baby to last Jen an entire lifetime.

"So, wedding day, baby's first words, anything else happening today?" Julia joked. Lana and Jen exchanged a knowing look, huge smiles growing on their faces.

"Just wait for my vows."