The Welcoming Ball

Start from the beginning

It was then that she spotted the throne in which the King sat. She forced her lips to curl into a smile and managed a graceful bow. She then drifted her gaze to her right and caught a glimpse of Prince Crow leaning against a wall, hair disheveled as he drank from a silver goblet. His eyes were narrowed and unpredictable as he returned her gaze.

Sun was slowly regretting not taking his offer for help, as she was completely clueless of what to do.

To her right, Sun saw Princess Adel in bright blue, her gown encrusted in diamonds. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a sweeping bun, a diamond neckless shined brighter than everything in the room and sat on her chest. She looked as if she was only mildly interested in Sun's arrival and leaned toward another woman to whisper something. Sun's hand began shaking terribly. She dared another glance at Prince Crow. His brows lowered as he kicked off of the wall and began walking toward her.

"Ah," a masculine voice sang from behind. "I have arrived at the perfect time. Who better to escort the lady to her ball if not the prince, himself?" Sun took in the presence of Prince Christian as he came into view. She nearly fainted.

He was magnificent.

Prince Christian was a painter's masterpiece, and he stood next to her in a royal blue tunic, richly embroidered in gold. His light brown hair was neatly brushed behind his ears, stopping at his shoulders. His kind eyes assured her that he'd be a great escort. Her anxiety eased at the sight of his smile.

He held out a muscled arm and raised his brows, granting Sun permission to take join with him. And with a smile she could barely hide, she slid her arm around his and allowed him to guide her into the room.

"You look absolutely stunning," Prince Christian said. "I believe you will find that every person in this room will agree to that statement. Even the coldest of hearts."

"Your brother thinks otherwise," Sun told him, glancing in the direction she'd last seen Prince Crow standing. He was nowhere in sight.

"My brother is a fool," Christian laughed, the sound causing Sun's heart to pound wildly. "He thinks everyone is out to get him. It's that battle-trained mind of his, always prepared for war."

"Then who in this room would you suggest I trust?" Sun asked, trying to keep a sophisticated elegance about herself.  She could feel the eyes of every soul boring into her as she slowly approached the throne. "I am far from home, wearing a gown that would have cost my father his farm to purchase, and I'm being escorted by a prince in front of a hundred men and women as if I belong here. Truth is, I know nothing and it frightens me."

"Then you will stay on my arm for the evening, and I'll introduce you to those you need to know," he said, walking the rest of the distance toward the throne. "First things first, it is tradition for you to greet and thank the king for his kindness in throwing a celebration party for your arrival. He doesn't do it often. Then, he will command everyone to dance and enjoy themselves. Are you ready?"

Sun didn't have time to answer before she was forced to greet the king. She stood in front of him, meeting his expectant gaze. He was dressed in a white tunic with with fur cloaking his shoulders. On his hands were an assortment of gold rings, an expression of his wealth. He matched perfectly with the imported gold throne in which he watched over the ball.

Sun bowed as instructed, hoping the gesture was more graceful than how she felt inside. "Thank you for the lovely ball, my King. You must have been born with the most gracious of gifts: a kind heart."

The King's laughter ricocheted off of the crystal chandeliers hanging from the high ceilings throughout the room. "A kind heart," he repeated, chuckling softly. "She's even more charming than you, boy."