Chapter 41: The Dress

The battlefields of silk and satin are waged on the floors of the seamstress. The blood pours out as ribbon and the cries of the victorias are but gasp, praise, and coos.

—Neio Machífu-Kasor, The Thread of Our Lives

Lily reached out for the dress for the fifth time in a few minutes.

"It's perfect, sweetie," Mindil said from the other side of the room. She didn't even look up from a flower arrangement she was toying with. The flowers glowed faintly in the light of the workshop and the perfumed scent drifted through the room.

Lily pulled back her hand. "I know, but that stitch is bothering me."

"No one will see it."

"They always see it. Everyone sees it, every tiny little detail. And then they talk about it."

"And yet you were the darling of your presentation despite that."

Lily grinned. "Until Hasan started that fire. Then no one cared that my right cuff had a slight tear in it."

Mindil looked up for a moment, then shrugged. "If I was a guy, I'd probably consider starting a fire too. You are beautiful." She winked. "I'm not a guy though, I figured I'd wait a few years and see if I had a chance."

She grinned and returned to her flowers. "Oh wait, I did."

A flicker of lust raced along Lily's senses. She smoothed over her dress and forced a deep breath from her lungs. Her hands hovered over the ground as she tried to pry her thoughts away from the dress that she couldn't afford to ruin with a last minute alteration.

The bell rang out from the front door.

Lily's heart almost skipped a beat. She spun around and stared at the door, wondering if she could step into it to risk a look. She didn't know if Windel would be storm in with her daughter or if it was someone else.

Mindil let out a soft laugh as she strolled away from the flowers. She peered through the door and the smiled. "Has, you brought lunch?"

"Yes, but you only have a few minutes. I just saw a trio of carriages at the end of the street."

"Is it the horse-fuckers's?"

"Mindil," Hasan chided. "Be nice. And yes, Djulian is in the front so please be on your best behavior. I don't want to get you out of jail again."

Mindil stared at him and sucked on her finger slowly.

Hasan gulped. He walked over to Lily. Taking her hand, he drew her into a kiss that quickened her heart. "You'll be wonderful. I'll gag Mindil."

"I'd like to see you try," snapped Mindil playfully.

Lily giggled.

Hasan's scent swirled around her, the faint musky and flowery scent bringing a smile. "Don't worry, she can't talk with her mouth full."

Another smile.

Mindil beckoned for him. "Come here."

Hasan gave Lily another kiss and headed for his wife.

The front door rang again. This time, Lily could hear many women entering the store, their shoes clicking on the floor and the rustle of fabric.

Taking a deep breath, she glanced at the couple.

Mindil mouthed, "You'll be great."

With a smile, Lily stepped into the front room.

Djulian and Nirih were the first ones she noticed standing in her store.