Chapter 29: Drinking Alone

The Divine Couple are the template for the perfect marriage: lovers who fell for each other over the first of the light and remained true until the end of time.

Marriage Under the Divine Couple

For the last twenty minutes, the smells of the docks had been seeping into the cracks of the rented carriage. The fishy scent was almost overwhelming but she could also taste tar, rotted plants, and sea water swirling together. It was an entirely loathsome stench that she had rarely needed to experience.

The cobblestones were also in poor repair. The wagon's jostled violently as the single-horse carriage struggled to take her to her destination. She could imagine her hip was bruised after slamming against the insides of the carriage; she knew it wasn't true but it felt that way.

Her stomach clenched with anxiety as she considered her destination. She had no idea what mood Kendrick would be in. Would he be sullen or angry? Would she see that mask of rage that she spotted years ago during the ill-fated duel? Every passing second made her fear grow until she was shaking from her thoughts.

The carriage came to a rattling stop. She tensed, waiting for it start again, but then she felt the drive sliding off the seat and coming around.

Shifting forward to rest her buttocks on the edge of the street, she double-checked that she had her small tri-fold tucked into the waistband of her dress. It had a few jems and her identification, anything else would be risking pickpockets or thieves. She had also left her jewelery at home, no reason to tempt anyone. The only thing she wore that was fancy was a light yellow dress with flower embroidery along the ankle-length hem.

The driver opened the door and gave a short, sketch bow. "Kudame Kasin."

Over the shoulder of the driver, she could see a pair of men watching her curiously from the eave of an empty stall. Both of them held large clay mugs in their hands. They wore mismatched suits that set her nerves on edge, the fabric of the jackets didn't mesh with the pants and they wore baggy shirts underneath.

With a flush on her cheeks, she stepped out of the carriage. Her shoe, a sensible one with a wide-footed heel, splashed into a deep puddle of icy water. She only had a second to register before stumbling forward.

The two men laughed.

Cheeks burning, she got up on the wet sidewalk and regained her balance. She looked around. When she saw a sharp line between wet and dry, she did a double take. With a gasp, she looked in the other direction to see the same circle of wetness was centered on the front of the public house. Slowly, she turned to the bar in front of her.

It was painfully obvious that Kendrick remained inside. Fog obscured the windows. Thick droplets of condensation ran down every surface, splashing into wide puddles. The double doors leading inside were ajar. The paint had bubbled away from where it had split, colored water still ran down the front before blending into the puddles on the ground.

Steeling herself, she headed for the bar.

"I wouldn't go in there, Lady." It was one of the men watching her. He had a low, raspy voice.

"Yeah, there is some asshole mage ruined my favorite place for everyone. Kicked everyone out and none of us can get back in. Go inside and you'll get yourself rightly doused."

She flushed hotter. "I-I'll be okay."

They looked at each other and shrugged. Then, they smirked and held up their mugs in a mock salute.

Humiliated, she hurried across the sidewalk. The door trembled underneath her palm as she shoved it open, desperate to get away from the two men teasing her.