Chapter 12: One More Time

Oh, Misnir, how I dream of you as I lay in my wedding bed. The heat in my hand and the thoughts in my head, they push me to end the sham I have joined, to finish it with the sharpest of knives and tears of blood.

—Gladir Kasin, Misnir and Romeon (Act 2, Scene 1)

Lily pushed open her front door with one hand and stepped into her house. She didn't need the flickering runes to find the rose lantern. Turning it on, she continued into the kitchen as the door swung shut behind her.

"Lily?"

Lily screamed as she spun around.

Hasan stood in the door, one hand planted on the runes. The flashes of light highlighted his face and his eyes seemed to glow. As the rose lantern came to life and the door's runes faded, the shadows drifted across his face.

She pressed a hand against her chest, trying to will her panicked heart to calm down. "Hasan! Don't do that!"

At first, she thought it was Kendrick talking to her. He had a strange habit of showing up unexpectedly. She was both relieved and disappointed it was Hasan but those thoughts quickly evaporated as she focused completely on Hasan.

"Sorry," Hasan said in a low voice, "I had to check on you."

He stepped inside and let the door shut behind her. The groan of the wood swelling filled the entry hall.

"What are you doing here, Hasan? It's almost midnight."

Hasan tugged on his coat, it was moist from the evening mist. It parted to reveal that he still wore his suit underneath his coat. "I was just enjoying a little walk and saw you come home. I needed to see you again."

A flash of desire rose up inside her. Clutching her arms over her chest, she struggled with the rapidly growing desire and her guilt. "Y-You shouldn't be here," she whispered.

He walked closer, his wingtip shoes loud in the hallway. "Can't I? I want to see you again. Mindil said it was okay."

She wanted to back away, to flee from him, but her body froze in place. The memories slammed into her and she focused on his lips, trying to remember exactly how it felt when he kissed her. A heat spread out from between her legs as she recalled his hand against her mons.

Hasan stopped in front of her. He reached out and rested his palms against her elbows. His wedding bracelet clinked softly.

Inhaling sharply at the electric surge that poured through her, Lily swayed. Guilt slammed into her, but so did an overwhelming euphoria. She struggled with her own thoughts, fighting the urge to sink into his arms and trying to gather the strength to step away.

"I can't stop thinking about you," he said. His hands slid up to her shoulders, cupping them. He toyed with the edges of her collar but she didn't have the will to turn to watch.

When he tugged the fabric along her neck, she shivered. Lips parted, she stared into his eyes. "W-We shouldn't."

"I want you. Now. Here."

Panting herself, she lifted her head up to Hasan, lining her lips up to his.

He guided her back without looking over her shoulder. Their footsteps were slow and unsteady, like two dancers learning how to work with each other. A moment later, her credenza bumped against the back of her thighs.

Lily inhaled sharply as heat flashed through her.

"No," Hasan whispered as he cupped her buttocks, holding her tight against him. His hardness ground against her belly, a swollen heat that she could feel through the fabric. With a grunt, he picked her up and set her on the edge of the dark wood.