Prologue

Beca sat staring at her wrist, her porcelain skin blurring her vision. The tick of the clock drove her to not move, each time the hand moved around the center she knew she was one second closer to her soulmate. She knew nothing about him, her whole life so far had revolved around this moment, waiting eagerly to find out the first words that would be spoken to her by the one. The clock kept ticking and she felt the nerves start to flow through her body, the veins running along her wrists almost glowing as she waited rather impatiently. Just as she went to look away, Beca's eyes caught a glimpse of cursive writing along her arm, she inhaled deeply as her eyes focused in on each singular letter, reading the words engraved on her freckled skin.

'Beca? Do you know the answer?'

She felt her heart lurch against her ribcage, her lungs partaking in a short intake of breath which was only slightly more disappointing than what she had just discovered. She felt her lip tremble and her eyes started burning more than the fire that used to burn unquenchably in her heart, recently blown out by the words on her wrist. She lied back, her head hitting the pillow with such force the sound echoed through her mind, pushing all other hopes of being involved in something more romantic.