CHAPTER 1

SECRETS

Every family has their own secrets to keep, secrets that had been preserved generation to generation and may cause troubles when told.

My family has secrets too, this time I wanted to share it with you. Can you keep it those for me?

By the way, I'm Anne Margarette Madrigal the daughter of one of the richest families in the country.

Many people wanted to be rich. You may think that I am lucky but I am not. For me being born with silver spoon in the mouth was a curse, a curse that destroyed my life forever. I would rather be poor that to be rich. I'd rather live in a nipa hut than to love in this gigantic mansion. I'd rather be a daughter of lowly farmer in the village than to be the daughter of Don Rafael Madrigal. He is a monster.

Don't get me wrong, but I do hate him as much as I love him. They say money can buy happiness, but the riches that my father gave me never gave an inch of happiness that I want. I've seen him grown into the person he is right now. I've seen him consumed by greed and power, and look at him now; he is indeed a powerful man. He wanted to control everything like a God including my life. I can't go to places that I like without someone tailing me behind, it's as if I'm a prisoner.my life is well guarded and I'm telling you that it sucks and its suffocates me. He needs to know everything, my whereabouts, places that I went, foods that I ate, books that I've read, and people that I've talked.

You see, I don't have a normal life like you. How I wish I can be like you too. Like you who have freedom.
I remembered my professor told me that we don't have absolute freedom, that means that our freedom ends when the freedom of others begin. I'd like to think that da was just exercising his freedom and authority to me as his daughter but it way too much. Who am I anyway? I need to follow his rules.

My nightmare begins on one fine day. Dad had changed into someone horrible. If he will skip his meds he will act violently, throwing everything at once, everything in his sight. I still remembered it vividly in my mind on that very fine day- the day that I cannot forget in my entire existence.
I am wearing a grayish white blouse, black necktie and a checkered red mini skirt with matching white socks and pitch black school shoes. I'm so happy at that time because I received the second highest honor in my class. I can't wait to show it to my Dad. I can't help but feel excited.

"Mang Ramon, could you drive faster?" I told my personal driver who had been serving our family even before I was born. He was at his early fifties now.

'Yes, Senorita Anne. Fasten your seatbelt first!" he replied.

As I arrived, I immediately looked for my Dad. I went to his study room hoping I can find him there. The room are full of books in different sizes, length, color and genre as well and encyclopedias in different volumes. I searched the place but he's nowhere to be found."

"Maybe he's in the garden" , I thought to myself and so I went there happily. When I got there I found Aling Feli tending the flowers and plants.
"Aling Feli, have you seen Dad?" I asked the middle aged woman wearing a farmer's hat.

"Oh, dear you're looking in the wrong place. I saw him heading to the library "she replied.

"Why haven't I thought about the library? "I thought to myself. My Dad's study room is restricted, we are not allowed to enter there and so he created the library for me and Mom. I almost forgot to tell you, I love books, I really do. I even love the minted smell of it.

The library is located in the upper portion of the house. Going there, I need to pass through the deserted hallway, busy kitchen and my silent bedroom.

I've noticed that the master's bedroom was left ajar so I decided to close it, upon nearing I've heard someone talking angrily over the phone. I can't barely recognize his voice it sound so deep and mad. It made me scared.