Chapter Thirty Seven

MIGS

I cupped her face and took a closer look at her. She looked like my Savina but not quite. There was something different that I just couldn't put my finger on. I gently pulled away from her and looked at her from head to toe. I tried to remember the clothes she was wearing when I picked her up from ballet class, she was in a light blue floral dress. This girl right in front of me was in a white top and blue skirt. That detail threw me off, making me tumble back from her.

What in the name of God is happening? I thought to myself as I raked my fingers through my hair.

"Savina, honey, what are you talking about?" Mama was the first to break the eerie silence in the whole dining room. "Are you not feeling well? Do you need some rest?"

The little girl just looked at Mama, dumbfounded and her mouth slightly gaping open.

"Sav..." Mama gently touched her shoulder.

"Savina, sino'ng Lola Mammy? Nandito si Mama Cassie mo, nandito ako, si Papa Nick." Dad softly said and stroked her hair.

"Baka naman nabaggok 'yan si Sav, Kuya. O kaya naalog yung utak kaka-ikot sa ballet class." Ronnie said with worry in her tone.

"Savina..." Drey came up to her and touched her cheek. "How are you feeling?"

"Sumasakit ulo ko..." She touched her temples.

"Itakbo na natin sa ospital. Baka may brain hemorrhage siya." Ronnie said, alarmed.

"Okay lang ako pero pwede bang huwag kayong mag-english? Pinipilit kong intindihin yung mga sinasabi niyo pero sumasakit ulo ko." She scratched her head.

We all exchanged weirded out looks at each other before turning our attention back to the little girl in front of us.

"I don't think she's Savina..." I quietly whispered, my eyes fixed on my daughter's doppelganger. "W-what's your name, darling?"

She put one hand over her hip. "My name? I am Bettina Miquel Flores, 6 years old, nag-aaral sa Sto. Antonio Elementary School, mula sa klase ng kinder 2-section gumamela, nakatira sa Mahabagin Street Sitio Sto. Antonio, at naniniwala ako sa kasabihan na kapag may nalaglag na pagkain ay agad itong pulutin dahil may 5 seconds pa. I thank you."

Another batch of silence took over us. My mind was trying to process all the information this little girl had given. Just as realization slowly sunk in to me, Ronnie let out a roaring laughter.

"Oh, God..." Mama softly said, her reaction delayed. 

Flores. Flores. Flores. The name rung over and over in my head like an endless echo. It throb as if it was being blown apart from inside in slow motion. She looked exactly like Savina but she wasn't Savina. She was the same age as my daughter. She was a Flores. 

"Saskia..." I uttered under my breath.

"Kilala mo si Saskia?" Her brows furrowed as she caught what I said. 

"Ano mo si Saskia?" Dad was the one who asked the question for me when I couldn't find my voice.

"Mama ko." She answered and then her eyes widened as if she suddenly remembered something. "Baka hinahanap na ako nun. Pwede bang iuwi niyo na ako? Babalik ko na lang 'tong mga laruan."

Gentle warmth took over my whole body as I looked at her from head to toe. I felt something inside me rush up from my chest to my eyes, making it water with tears. My brain still hadn't figured out what was going on but my heart already had. I pulled her to me and gave her a tight hug and then I cried. I cried and sobbed my heart out as I held her in my arms like I did when I first held Savina.