Chapter Fifteen

MIGS

"Ma..." I got up from my seat and gestured for her to sit. She reluctantly sat down with a look of confusion on her face. I grabbed another chair from an empty table and brought it to ours so Dad could sit too. They looked around the table at all the unfamiliar faces, the confusion on their faces growing even deeper. "Ma, Dad, I have something I need to tell you."

Saskia and her family went quiet. They were rarely quiet. All I could hear right now was the muffled sound of the violin and piano playing in the background. I could feel my heart thumping against my chest and colds sweats beading on my forehead and palms. I took out a handkerchief from my inner coat and wiped the sweats off.

"I've seen you before..." Mom quietly said, her eyes on Saskia.

"Ako po yung nakasama niyo sa elevator sa opisina ni Migs. Yung journalism." She bit her bottom lip. I could see how nervous Saskia was as she fidgeted on her seat.

"Oh, I see." She nodded and went quiet for a bit. She turned her head to me. "Miggy, anak, please explain what is happening here? Ano yung gusto mong sabihin sa amin ng Dad mo?

I stood behind Saskia's seat and rested my hands on the back of it. I lowered my eyes, avoiding my parents gaze.

"Ma'am, kasi ganito po yan." Saskia took in a deep breath. She stalled, probably thinking of a good excuse. 

"It's okay." I rested my hands on her shoulders and squeezed them. "Dad, Ma, this is Saskia and these are here family."

"Son, will you please just explain to us what's goin on so your Mom and I can finally have a nice dinner? What is going on?" Dad was getting impatient.

"Dad..." I swallowed the lump forming in my throat. "I... I got Saskia pregnant."

Mom made a sharp inhale. Dad stared at me with eyes wide in shock.  My shoulder sagged when I saw the looks on their faces. Their faces shifted from shock to questioning and finally to worry.

"Paano na si Hazel?" Ma questioned with a soft, gentle tone. "Alam na ba niya ito? Ano na ba ang napagdesisyunan niyo?"

"She doesn't know about this yet. I never expected this to happen..."

"Is this the woman you told me you had one night stand with? Bakit hindi mo sinabi sa akin ang tungkol dito." Dad brushed his fingers through his hair.

"May alam ka dito, Nick?" Ma's head snapped to Dad's direction. She looked at Dad as though he had betrayed her. "Bakit wala kang sinasabi sa akin?"

"Cass, I don't want to keep any secrets from you but I promised Miggy I wouldn't tell anyone." He let out a big sigh.

"What have you gotten yourself into, Miguel?" Ma tightly shut her eyes and opened it after a few seconds, giving me a weary stare. "Paano ang kasal mo kay Hazel? I can't believe this, Miggy."

"I'm tell you, ma'am, sir, hindi po ako magsasalita. Hindi ko naman po sila guguluhin ng magiging asawa niya. Alam ko po ang sitwasyon ng anak niyo at alam ko po kung saan ako lulugar. Isang malaking pagkakamali po ang nangyari sa amin. Dancer po ako sa stag party ni Migs at sa sobrang kalasingan, may nangyari sa amin. Wala naman po akong hinihingi sa kanya, konting suporta lang sa magiging baby namin. Mahirap lang po kasi kami at saka halos ako na lang po ang nagtatrabaho sa pamilya namin." Saskia said with a tone of sincere apology.

"Hija, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but considering your line of work, are you sure that's my son's child?" Dad gently asked and he averted his eyes to me. 

"Dad..." I huffed and pressed her shoulders to relax when I felt her tensing. "Alam kong akin ang dinadala ni Saskia."

"Sir, alam ko pong kay Migs 'to. Siguradong-sigurado ako. Promise po, cross my heart, hope you die. Siya po kasi yung... yung nakauna sa akin saka siya lang po talaga. Wala na pong ibang lalaki." Her head lowered, embarrased.