Chapter 13: Reconciled

Start from the beginning

"Catherine!" Edward yells as I whoosh past him, "dig
your heels in!"

The horse gallops even faster. I whimper."Please help me!"

"Hold on tight!" Edward calls, racing after me, "I'm coming! Don't let go!"

I grit my teeth and will myself to calm down. It's alright. I can do this. Just stay calm. I don't need a man to save me. 

I can do this on my own. I just need to remember what mom taught me. Using all my might, I pull firmly on both reigns and push inward with my right leg. With a lengthy neigh, my horse halts.

"You alright?" Edward's voice is worried when he gallops up beside me.

"Oh shit," I whisper, wiping sweat off my brows and brushing a hand through my tangled hair. "That was....exhilarating." I laugh. Edward chuckles along with me. 

"That was impressive," he admits, surveying me from head to toe. "I'm glad you're okay."

I blush. "Thanks."

We stare at each other for a while, both silent. "I'm sorry," he finally blurts out, breaking the awkward tension between us. "If you don't feel anything for me, it's fine. I don't expect anyone to love me, being that I'm the way I am-"

"Edward, what..."

"I want you to know that I really want to marry you. Not just because I-I care for you, but also because you are strong, intelligent and confident. You are a true queen."

I'm not a queen. I'm just...me. I'm not the one he wants.

"I-" a loud cry cuts me off. I grimace. I've totally forgotten about the attack on Edward. Are they coming now?

I peer into the distance and spot a group of guards racing towards us with their swords drawn. Beside me, Edward draws in a sharp breath. "Rebels."

In a split second, Edward's sword is out. "Catherine," he calls without looking back at me, "there's a sword on my left, take it. I trust you'll be able to protect yourself?"

Grabbing the sword from his left belt swiftly, I reply, "I'll be fine."

"Great. Just shout if you need help."

For what feels like hours, Edward fends off the guards alone. I'm on the verge of vomiting as I watch them slink to the ground one by one, covered in bloody gashes and slits.

Like a natural born warrior, Edward tears through them like a hurricane. Soon, he's left kneeling in a pool of blood, victorious. He's battered and drenched in blood, but he's alive.

"Oh my god!" I rush towards him, "are you alright?"

He grins at me. "Never felt more exhilarated."

Rolling my eyes, I say, "Let's not joke about stuff like this." I hand him his sword, "here you go."

His hand hesitates on the hilt. "It's yours now."

"Oh..." I hold the bloody sword awkwardly, not sure what to do with such an object. "Um...thanks."

"I know it's probably not the best present for a lady. But you'll need it for protection. And it's a very precious sword. My father left it for me."

"Edward!" I gasp, "I can't keep something like this."

"Yes, you can," he smiles, "just promise me you'll make good use of it. Starting from today, I'm training you."

———————————-

"Oh no no no," Calchantis shakes his head, "James wasn't trying to hurt Edward."

"Then what?" I ask. I'm sitting on the couch in my room. It's been a few hours after the hunting trip and Edward has left me alone for a meeting. Apparently, we're going to have 'training' later.

"He used you to lead Edward away and it saved his life."

That's when it dawns on me. James was trying to save Edward.

He jabbed me with the needle so that I could lure Edward away. When the guards started attacking, James was the one who killed most of them. We survived because of him. And now he's dead.

"B-but how did he know what was going to happen?"

"That's because he's also from your time."

Im starting to feel a little dizzy. "So...he sacrificed his life for Edward's?"

"I guess so."

"But why?" I shake my head, disoriented. "And why didn't he return to our time?"

"I approached him several times, but he refused to leave."

"So what's going to happen to Edward now?" I whisper, my mind reeling. "If James died in place of Edward, does that mean he's safe now?"

"I don't know," Calchantis's face darkens. "This is what I was warning you about. Now you've altered history, and I have no idea what's going to happen."