Chapter 10

I've been preparing for this day. I spent sleepless nights looking forward to it and prepared everything I needed to look perfect today wishing Royce will notice me. Well, just a slight expectation that he might also turn his attention on me as an attractive lady and not as an artist.

I woke up early and spent hours fixing myself. I want to look not just good but the best so that I can leave a good mark on Royce and his family. It's never too late to risk a try at luck.

Royce then came to pick me up. He's a gentleman, walked me through his car and opened the car door for me. "Buckle your seat belt for safety," he reminded me. It was such a sweet gesture for me. "Ok are you ready to meet my family? They're all excited to finally meet you," he asked and said. I just smiled and said, "Yes, I hope they're like your Mom too, very accomodating and nice." Royce laughed and joked, "Hey we're not a family of beasts! We don't bite."

I know he's just making me feel calm. Maybe he sensed the tension I have inside. He made sure that our journey's not boring by poking jokes at me from time to time. At some point before we got out of the car he whispered, "Here we are lovely lady. You're going to meet them all and at the end of the day, you'll go home happy. I'll make sure of that."

Whew! That was such a big surprise. Did he just said I'm lovely? I can't believe myself. Did I made a good impression on him? Did he notice how much I prepared for him?

Mrs. Andrews is already waiting for us at their front door. She excitedly grabbed my arms away from Royce leaving him stunned, smiling and nodding. Maybe he doesn't expect his Mom to be that close to me knowing that she met me only once.

As we walked inside their dining room, everyone's already preparing for lunch. Mrs. Andrews introduced me to her husband, Royce's only sister, Kate, Kate's husband and twin children, and even to all their household helpers. I felt lucky that they're all very warm and friendly. Their family is unlike any other wealthy and conceited rich people in the society. I'm impressed with their humble actions. They treated me like one of them, a family member.

"Everyone, let's eat. Royce please stay beside Viel so that she'll be comfortable. Help her out, ok?" Mrs. Andrews lovingly said. I answered, "Oh don't worry, Ma'am. I can manage myself." But still she exclaimed, "No, I won't let you serve yourself. You're Royce visitor so he must take care of you." I can't win over her so I just went with the flow.

This family is one to be admired. They are fun to be with and loving. I haven't felt any isolation with them. It seems like they have close family ties basing from their bonding time.  I wish I can be part of them.

We are already having tea when  an unexpected visitor arrived and remarked, "Hey, I thought Royce is going to pick me up at home. I was waiting for ages only to find out his already here with someone else." Royce was alerted and rose up from his seat. He hurried towards her and pulled her away from us before telling more.

Everyone was shocked in dismay. Mrs. Andrews broke the silence, "Don't worry Royce can handle that spoiled brat girlfriend of him. He should have ditched him a long time ago because she's always bringing surprises in this house." Mr. Andrews also said, "Well, we have a visitor so let's just don't bring up that story. Anyway, we didn't expect uninvited guests."

I felt their family's reactions. I could sense they are all disgusted with her but they know how to make things better. They went back to their fun conversations to make me feel at peace. I completely understand their good intentions. 

As we continued, I can't help but hear Royce's girlfriend screaming outside, "You bastard! Are you planning to break up with me because of that stupid girl? You hardly even know her. You're insane!" I felt like an ice cream melted from the heat of the day. It was as if I was struck with a knife on my chest.

I then turned my eyes on the window and saw Royce and his girlfriend kissing each other passionately. I felt frozen and speechless. The ice cream in front of me melted just like a fruit shake as if telling me that all my hopes are gone. I'm just an intruder and I don't belong here.

Mr. and Mrs. Andrews offered me a ride home after what happened because Royce hurried away and left with his girlfriend. They were very apologetic for what happened. I just accepted their help and thanked them for their generosity. This might be the last time I could be with them.