Chapter 27

Natalie's POV

We all look down to the water bottles left with a note by someone "From a Friend." We decide it's best not to drink it, not knowing who it is from or what they could have done to it.

Soon thunder rumbles, feeling a few drops of rain followed by a whole down pour. I look up to the sky, feeling the cool water rush over me. Lydia laughs with Chris and a few other group members. I brush my fingers with Daryl's making him look to me. He gently grabs my hand and intertwines our fingers. My skin warms up at his touch, despite the cold rain drenching me. I look to him, but before I could say anything loud thunder rumbles once again, making us look to the dark clouds getting closer.

"Let's keep moving!" Rick yells over the noise.

"There's a barn." Daryl tells them, speaking about the place we found.
____________________

I take one last look around, making sure everyone is okay before settling next to Daryl in a corner. He positions himself so that he is sitting up against the wall, and grunts motioning for me to come lay on him. I do so, setting my bow down.

"Ye aint gotta be okay, n that's okay." He says to me gruffly. I lay my head down on his lap, looking straight ahead. I feel his hand rest on my back, rubbing it in circular motion.

"I know that." I whisper, feeling my heart ache at our groups losses... our family. Silence settles over us, other than the storm going about outside.

After a little while Daryl gets up to check over everyone, I see him look out the doors and shove them closed, struggling. I quickly get to my feet and hear the groans of walkers, helping him keep the barn doors clothed. One by one everyone comes up to help, the only light is of the lightning flashing about and the deafening pouring of rain.

_______________
Daryl's POV

Sunlight streams throughout the cracks in the barn, letting the world know its morning. I look down to Natalie who is fast asleep, her head in my lap.

She helped me feel, and one of those many feelings is something I've never felt. Emotions were odd to me, all my life it had been that way. I was never taught about things I felt, just that I shouldn't. No one showed me how to handle what I felt, only to push them down hard enough until they disappeared.

My father raised me through abuse and punishment, I never learned positive emotions from him. Only things Merle felt were lust and anger, so it wasn't surprising that I had turned out the way I did. Angry, Guarded, shut off from all other emotions.

But when she entered my life.. It all changed.

Merle had always told me that crushes we for pussies, so that turned me further away from ever wanting to experience one. I fell to care for her, and learned to be amazed my every little thing she does. As I look down to the woman I had made room for in the walls I have built around my heart, I realize something. A feeling I thought was a myth, never experiencing it myself. I noticed a real change in myself since meeting her.

"You should sleep." Maggie says, breaking me out of my thoughts as she sits down next to me. I nod to her.

"Yeah." I mumble, bitting my thumb nail. She looks down to Natalie.

"It's okay to rest now." Maggie assures me looking back up. I look over to Sasha.

"He was tough." I say about Tyresse. She looks over at her too. "So was she." I add about Beth. "She didn't know it, but she was." I tell her and she smiles a bit. I reach over and grab the music box that Carl had given Maggie, handing it to her. "Gear box had some grit in it." I grunt as she takes it from me.