━ forty-one: london bridge

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

LONDON BRIDGE IS FALLING DOWN

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

     THE STREETS OF LONDON were always busy. Everyone knew that. It was a massive city, and it was the capital of the country. Every minute in the day, there'd be at least a couples sets of shoes pounding against the pavement. At midday, the streets close to the tourist spots were always jam-packed, regardless of the weather or time of year.

     In late July, the tourists came bustling in, fitting into the gaps between businesspeople and those that lived in the city. They all seemed to adore the Thames, which Briar never really got, because it was just a river that used to hold the entire city's sewage. But, the tourists liked it, which was enough for another set of citizens to flock with delight.

      (Citizens. Briar wouldn't call them citizens. She wouldn't use any word synonymous with human to describe them. They were extremist monsters.)

     Briar had claimed one of the benches. Blonde locks fell into her face, the late July breeze being the reason behind her red faux leather jacket, but the late July sun being the reason behind her sunglasses. Her nails were painted — a sign that she had spent too many nights awake and restless, after waking up from some nightmare — and her fingers curled around a small piece of parchment.

     RE: "BROCKDALE BRIDGE IS FALLING DOWN."

     Briar,

     It would be unwise to stop the situation. The Death Eaters will suspect the Order if we stop all of their surprise attacks. DO NOT TRY AND STOP IT.

     Tears first clung to her eyelashes, when she first read it. It had been said at an Order meeting, as Briar sat down on her own and declared that she had been keeping record of every future Death Eater attack and meeting. But, Moody advised them against acting upon it.

     Briar had been alone — Laurel and Remus were at home, grieving in their separate ways, whilst Livvy took Teddy to the nearest park — so she hadn't had anyone to back her up. She had never been alone before — she always had someone on her side, whether they be a poltergeist or anarchist students or her best friends, but she had never been alone. But she had been. And a general couldn't work well if they didn't have their soldiers.

     She had ignored the statement at first. Therefore, Briar and Moody had burst into a huge argument, which was died down the instant that Dumbledore appeared. Moody had told her that it was a miracle they were letting her get involved. Briar told him that they were all cowardly pricks for not saving as many innocent lives as possible. Dumbledore explained why they couldn't — which was a shitty fucking excuse, in her opinion — and Moody scrawled a summary  of his explanation out, pushing it towards Briar and telling her, "You're not turning around and pretending you forgot about it. You've got no excuse. If you act against those visions, you betray the Order."