━ one: padfoot's past plan

CHAPTER ONE

PADFOOT'S PAST PLAN

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪  

     BRIAR LUPIN HAD dreamt, predicted, foreseen death more times than she cared to admit. If she actually remembered all of the times it had occurred, at least.

     According to her parents, Baby Briar often had nightmares. And, once Baby Briar became Toddler Briar and learnt how to talk when she awoke from dreams, she often sobbed out whatever she had seen. Her mum, Laurel, said that Toddler Briar had predicted Lily and James Potter's deaths an hour before it occurred. But, at the time, Toddler Briar's nightmares were yet to be titled under her being a Seer, because that was yet to be realised. At the time, Laurel Crouch and Remus Lupin thought that their daughter's nightmares were because of the war that enveloped her childhood.

     Throughout her childhood, there was a notebook, which sat in her bedroom. Every time she woke up, and she saw something that she had a bad feeling about afterwards, she grabbed the nearest writing utensil and wrote down the parts of the dream that stuck out the most. Over time, the notebook's pages had been filled, and the back of her wardrobe stored volumes of predictions she'd dreamt. 

     Since then, however, the visions spiralled. It was similar to someone dropping dye into a jug of water; slowly, but surely, the colour danced down to the bottom, and the more it was added to, the more the water went from colourless to colourful. At first, the visions were just nightmares — the initial drop of dye. Then, daydreams were added to the equation, along with the accidental references to future events, such as through jokes and crappy paintings — that was when the dye touched the jug's bottom at last, and the colour consumed the water.

     By fifteen, the Seer abilities in her blood had escalated considerably. They were shown through predictions, bad feelings, guessing things that became correct. Dreaming of the future, whether that be in real-life, or a future book or film. Having to run out of lessons because her vision was becoming splotchy and her mind was revealing to her the future whilst she tried to restrain vomiting over the hallway floor, or crushing her skull from grasping too hard, desperate to try and put pressure on a migraine-like pain, despite that being impossible to do. Giving up on the notebooks, because the pen was an extra voice to her inner eye, and her inner eye thought that it had been invited to predict as many things and see what would be the limit that she'd be sick for days. Feeling bittersweet at the idea that she'd never been surprised about the bad things, but she'd never been surprised about the good things.

     Her prophetic nature had added an extra reason towards her development over the years. Obviously, her appearance had changed. She had grown, like everyone else in the damned world. But, she had also very quickly learnt that the world could be unfair, and people could be pricks. She was far better at hiding her feelings than someone should be, regardless of age.