chapter three, GIRLS WHO TIE MEN IN KNOTS.

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE.
━━━━━━━━━
Some people are born with
tragedy in their blood;
it's all they've known.
━━━━━━━━━

JEAN CAN ALREADY IMAGINE HER cherry red lipstick staining the cheap plastic cups filled with cheap alcohol.

It had taken Clarissa and Meryn what felt like hours to convince her parents that taking their only child to what would probably be the biggest party of the year, is an amazing idea. In the meantime, Jean sat there idly, listening to the arguments that consisted of She will meet so many new people, We will be watching over her like a lioness watches over her cub and Your daughter will be an outcast at school, should she not go. It's not like Jean actually wanted to go, never having understood the importance of Halloween and the festivies that come with it. There had always been things more relevant than celebrating childish holidays.

Both men had rolled their eyes at the two girls at last, sighing in defeat. David had been the one to warn Jean about grabby boys and probably every kind of sexual desease, making her cry out in embarassment and shame in the middle of their living room.

Now, she is standing in her room, criticising the skintight dress Meryn is making her wear tonight. On short notice, they had not been able to get their hands on a real costume for Jean so while Clarissa is dressed as Baby from Dirty Dancing and Meryn wears aerobics clothes characteristically for Jane Fonda, the brown haired teen is clad in a bright red latex dress, fake blood staining her cheeks and arms.

"You've got to be kidding me," she exclaims, quite shocked about her friend's choice. "No way I'm wearing this tonight... or ever."

     "Oh come on, don't be a prude!" Clarissa fires back with a wide grin. "You look hot."

Meryn comes to her defense. "Girl, like this you won't be single for much longer, that's for sure."

"I like being single," she tries, eyebrows raised in concern. "And if my dads see me like this they will kill you both with their bare hands and shackle me to this bed for the rest of my life, you know that."

Both Meryn and Clarissa look at each other for a few seconds before the dark-skinned girl pouts. "Alright. Because we knew that you'd react like this... we have a second option."

     It takes her a while to find the piece of textile in her suitcase — yes, Meryn had brought a suitcase for all the things she might need — until she finally shrieks in excitement, holding up a glittery dress. "You cannot say no to this, Jean. Being a disco diva is in your blood."

That certainly isn't the truth but the dress is nice and not too revealing, so she answers with a simple shrug, brown hair falling across her shoulders. Tonight, the seventeen year old swears, she will carry herself confidently, rather than be hunched over a worn paperback novel like she is most days.