Chapter 6: Spoils Of War

The flight did not seem to take as long as Forrest had stated, but it had been an experience John would not forget anytime soon. He had seen many things out here, away from Earth and it's standards of realistic. Nothing destroyed that more than the dragon he sat on. Watching ahead as Malco dropped into the vast landing platform at the base. Running along the ground before coming to a stop. Dazar repeating the same landing that ended up being much smoother than it looked. It was considerably colder here, as the dragons gathered close.

Forrest swung down from Malco's neck, looking around as she scratched him affectionately above his eye. "Thank you." A sharp chirp responding to her as she then walked back to where Rodney was sitting in the saddled "That was insane!" he said as he looked at his hands that seemed to glow a shade of red from the constant stream of cold air hitting them. "Is there anything warmer I can put on for the way back?" She shook her head, as she began to unstrap his legs from the saddle "If you can find some, feel free." She turned, looking at John and Ronon as they too dismounted from their saddles. "I have no idea where the cells are here but finding them should not be too hard for you all, sounds like you are used to hunting for them."

Rodney dropped from the saddle with his bag and jumped back as Malco shrank down before him. He was small now, the size of a large cat. Saddle and all now the same size. Dazar repeating the same, process as they looked around the base. "They can shrink the saddles?" John asked as he watched Dazar jump onto Forrest's shoulders. "The leather we use for the saddles is bio-compatible to the dragons. there are sensors on the underside that sort of match the dragon's body to the saddle. Anything within the leather when it is attached to the dragons will shrink. So far, the only thing that can't shrink with a dragon is another living thing." She explained as she watched Malco glide onto John's shoulders. The man glancing upwards as the dragon held to his vest, the animal was lighter weight than he expected as it held to him. "It is easier for them to stay with us shrank down. Not all the halls and rooms will allow a full-sized dragon to travel within them." He nodded, looking around the large stone base "Well Rodney?"

The scientist was silent, as he stood working on one of the scanners, before turning around and looking at one of the buildings. "That way, picking up power readings. I don't think I can get you an exact room, given that the pulse is still knocking out my gear." The four looked at the building before John started to walk forward with Malco on his shoulders "Good enough for me, let's go." Quickly followed by Ronon as Forrest looked nervously around her, "You okay?" to her surprise, it was the scientist known as Rodney that spoke to her. Considering most of his comments had been rather annoying, it took her by surprise." "I'm fine, just been a while since I was here last." She explained as she walked carefully behind him. The anxiety-ridden man was growing on her, as much as it pained her to admit it to herself. The entire group of people had started to grow on her.

She was more and more curious about them, where they came from, who they were. From what all they had told her, of the place they lived and the world they came from, it sounded like a fiction book. She wanted to know more. See all of what they told of, and have proof for herself. She watched them as they walked in front of her into one of the long halls. Able to feel the warmth of Dazar's body as he held to her back. The flashlights on their weapons filling the room as they walked along. She felt somewhat useless, not knowing what exactly they were looking for or how she could help. "So, why are the power cells so important? I understand they power your city, but you seem to be surviving without them." She directed it at Rodney, who glanced back. "We have power yes, but not enough to power shields, dial the gate home, even keep weapons online." He was quick in his response to her, apparently not in the frame of mind to share much information. She didn't speak anymore but stayed close to the group.