What the Hell is a SoundStep?

Strap in kiddos, it's gonna be a long chapter.

SoundStep are a closed species of my own, creatures that came into being purely from radiation and vibrational frequencies. Their lives revolve around sound, noise, and music.

History
In the year 23XX, the world was wiped clean by nuclear devastation known as the "Sweep". The survivors of the human race fended underground in Western America, for thirty years. When the dust settled, they returned to the surface, and the remaining two million people, all that was left of humanity, began to build a city in the desert that was America.
The city they founded was called Los Ambience. The human race began to thrive once again, in their city that was powered by the force of vibrational energy, as it was all that was left to be used as power.

Meanwhile, the radiation and those same vibrations came together in the desert, mingling with debris from the global devastation, and the first SoundStep was born in the sand

More of these creatures had begun to arise. They formed their own colony, in the jungle that had taken roots outside the desert, the one with Los Ambience at it's heart.
They called it Symphonatti, after a second City the humans tried to found had fallen.

Humanity and SoundStep had been on bad terms from the start. The humans needed more power, soundwaves of power that the SoundStep could produce, with their perfect mimickery and production of vibrations. They were made almost purely of energy.
And so the humans took the SoundStep into captivity, and used their voices to power the city.

However, during their bondage, a King was born. Radioactive. Three times the size of his fellow Steps, he led them to a revolt that overthrew the human oppression and nearly destroyed the heart of Los Ambience.
The SoundStep fled to the jungle, Symphonatti, and hid from the humans.

Human relations
SoundStep have slowly began to trickle back into the city. While most humans still hate them, and mistreat the creatures, some have chosen to take them in. The SoundStep have learned from their human friends, and sometimes the pair become inseparable companions.

Some SoundStep have taken refuge in large numbers in the abandoned bits of the city. They've formed gangs to promote safety for themselves in numbers. The most famous is a group of SoundStep 'diplomats' known as the Music Makers. Their sole goal is to impress humankind and hopefully to instate peace between the two races.

Other gangs include the Aero Kids. A group of vandals who paint the city under cover of darkness.

Social Construct
As the SoundStep have begun to least more and more from the humans behavior and uncovered history, they in turn have taken a page from the book of social constructs.

SoundStep are ruled in a monarchy. The current ruler does not matter the age or gender, as long as they are the oldest offspring of the previous ruler.