“Hey, bro, how about some music?” Austin suggested rather loudly, stepping forward to pat Caleb on the back. Caleb tore his gaze from mine and nodded his agreement. It seemed the group had done this before because they automatically situated themselves comfortably around the guitar players’ chairs and the fire. Austin and Brittany motioned for me to join them on a blanket near the front, closest to Caleb, so I thanked Brody for his marshmallow roasting aid and made my way to their spot.  

The campfire crackled and popped in the background as someone threw on a fresh log. The guitar players warmed up for a few minutes until someone suggested a song, and soon Caleb’s rich voice filled the evening air. Once the smooth, deep sound of his voice seeped into my soul, everything in me melted. I was lost. What had ever made me think that I had the strength to stay away from this guy? Nothing could be more impossible. The musicians took turns playing and singing until stars saturated the night sky and the fire gradually died down. Near the end of one of the other guy’s songs, Austin leaned over to Caleb and said only loudly enough for the four of us to hear, “Why don’t you play Jesse’s song. You know, the one I heard you playing in your room the other night. Our Jessie might like it.”

Caleb looked hesitant at first. “Don’t you think an old John Denver song is a bit cheesy for this crowd?” he asked, and I thought he might refuse.

“Who cares what they think? You like it, right?” Austin questioned. Caleb shrugged. “I say screw them. Play it. I like it, too.”

I think I actually held my breath until he looked into my eyes and spoke softly, “For you.” The haunting melody poured into the night as he sang out the lyrics,

“I often have wandered in deep contemplation

It seems that the mind runs wild, when you’re all alone

The way that it could be, the ways that it should be

Things I’d do differently if I could do them again.

 I’ve always loved springtime, the passing of winter

 The green of the new leaves and life going on

 The promise of morning, the long days of summer

 Warm nights of loving her beneath the bright stars

 I’m just an old cowboy from high Colorado

Too old to ride anymore, too blind to see

I sleep in the city now, away from my mountains

Away from the cabin we always called home

And I dream I left there on an old Palomino

Whispering Jesse rode right by my side

I long to hold her, to hear her soft breathing

The touch of her cool hands on my fevered brow

Whispering Jesse still rides in the mountains

Still sings in the canyons, still lives in my heart.”

Silence hung in the air as the last notes faded into the darkness. “And that’s it for me . . . I’m calling it a night,” Caleb stated resolutely, getting to his feet. He smiled and shook his head when a few guests protested his departure. “Nope, sorry, early morning.” He turned to Austin. “Keep things under control out here. I don’t want any complaints from the neighbors,” and with that he took his guitar and went inside. As someone played another song, I saw a dim light go on in Caleb’s bedroom.