Chapter 6

I blinked open my eyes and turned on my phone. 5:42 A.M. great I'm so nervous/excited I woke up early. I groaned as I rolled out of the bed and onto the carpet. I peeked through a curtain to see only a small amount of morning seeping over the mountains. I stood up and got dressed quickly.

I started to write a not for mom when she sat up and mumbled "Allie? Why are you up so early?"

"I couldn't sleep so I'm just going to check on Copper." I zipped my jacket up and headed for the door.

"I want you back here in 15 minutes!" Mom whisper/yelled out the door. I went into the lobby and outside. I slowly unlocked the door and walked inside with Copper. Copper's head flew up in surprise as I patted his forelock. He nickered softly and put his head down again. I checked my watch, patted Copper's muzzle and walked out. I locked the door and went into the hotel.

"Mom? I'm back." I said quietly closing the door behind me.

"Oh! Allie, good. Did you want to sleep a little more? We don't have to be at the property till 10:30." Mom climbed out of her bed and sat on the edge of the bed.

"I won't be able to sleep, I'm way to excited." I smiled as I pulled some clothes out of my bag.

"Are you already getting dressed? They serve breakfast here but not until 7:30."

"Ok, I guess I will watch some tv." I flopped on the bed and grabbed the cotroller. I flipped through channels until I found a good show.

Three hours later I was dressed and waiting for mom to get ready. It was 8:12 and I was already ready for my try-out.
"I don't see why you are already ready." Mom groaned as she combed her wavy hair into a ponytail. I pulled my shoes on and we left for breakfast.

After breakfast we grabbed our things and went to the car. After I shoved my stuff in the back seat I went to check on Copper through the small window. He was awake and eating his breakfast. I smiled then got in the front seat of our car.

"Ready?" Mom smiled as we left the parking lot. I smiled and nodded quickly. Throughout the ride I fidgeted with the zipper on my jacket waiting for us to arrive. Mom glanced at me sympathetically and smiled.
"Don't worry, you'll do fine." I gave a weak smile and stared out the window.

We arrived at the property 15 minutes later. I stared in amazement as we slowly drove through the gates. The trees and bushes were trimmed perfectly and small little white flowers grew on the bushes.

"Wow." I breathed as the space opened up into a campus. To the right were the dorms, the barn, and the school area. To the left was all the fields, arenas, and cross country courses.

"This is amazing." Mom stared at the fields. We parked in front of the school buildings and walked into the office. There was a waiting area with walls painted a light cream color. At the end of the waiting room was one door and a desk for check in. Mom and I walked up to the desk and smiled, a tall woman with long blonde hair pulled into a ponytail was at the desk typing away on her computer.

"May I help you?" She asked turning toward us on her swivel chair.

"Yes my daughter is here for her horseback-riding try-out."

"Ok, your names?" she asked opening an organizer.

"Allie and Sarah Jones"

"Ok, Allie you are the one trying out correct?"

"Yes.'' I pipe up and smile.

"Ok, Mrs. Jones I'm just going to have you sign this form and you will be all set!" Mom smiled and handed the paper back.
"Ok, you're all good! Allie your try-out is at 11:30, you won't be the only one trying out. And you will be eliminated down to 6, there is 15 of you." The woman gave a sickly sweet smile and I nodded, a new knot forming in my stomach. So only 6 will get in 9 will go home. Thats no pressure at all! We walked outside and climbed into the car.

"I'm going to leave you to get ready I will be back for your try out though." Mom smiled as she parked next to the barn.
"I'm going to get a tour of this place!" Mom said as we hopped out of our car.

"Ok mom, see you later!" I called as she walked off. I opened the trailer door and Copper nickered at me.
"Hi boy, are you ready to show?" I asked uniting the lead rope and walking him out. I tied him to the side of the trailer and opened the tack room door. I started to notice the other trailers and horses as I grabbed my brush box. Some students stared curiously at the trailers and horses. I started to groom Copper working my way around his body until he shined. I grabbed his boots and wraps and put them on his legs. Copper just stood quietly watching me. Other horses paced nervously in place as their owners tacked them up. I placed a bright blue pad on Copper's back and then a white half pad. Copper nuzzled my arm as I flung the saddle onto his back. I put the girth and bridle on and checked the time, 11:02 A.M.. I put my gloves and helmet on and hopped onto Copper. We had about 30 minutes before our try-out so I decided to warm up. Some of the other girls were getting on their horses too, while some were still tacking up. We walked into the arena and started at the trot. Jumps were set up already at pretty high heights. We trotted for 10 minutes then I pushed Copper into a canter. Copper cantered smoothly around the arena as I eyed all the girls in the arena with me. We did 10 minutes of cantering then started to jump. I created a course in my head and followed it, a few girls stopped and stared at Copper and I. A blue and green vertical was first, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Jump! Cleared, next jump a red and white oxar, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Jump! Cleared, a yellow flower box was next, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Jump! Cleared but barely, next was a purple crossrail, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Jump! The final jump was a large green oxar, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Jump! Copper cleared the first part but knocked the second pole down. I slowed him down to a walk and took a deep breath. Some girls stared astonished at what we did, some girls stared suspiciously at us like it wasn't real. I checked my clock 11:25. I exited the arena and waited for the instructor to come. As the rest of girls came out I realized I had forgotten to practice flying lead changes and glanced around nervously. I hope we don't do those in our try-out, Copper wasn't really good at them either.

Five minutes later we were lined up as the instructor came.

"Hello girls, welcome to Breezeway Academy! SO! I'm Ms. Baxter but you can call me Holly if you stay," She winked at us and gave a wide smile. "Today starting off will be Bethany Stovall." A short, black haired girl walked into the indoor arena. She rode a tall bay with a star and one sock. Workers closed the door so we couldn't hear or see the try-out.

The other girls went and I was last, Ms. Baxter walked a tall brunette on a paint out and motioned me forward. I gave a shy smile as I entered the arena.
"Ok, Shall we get started?" Ms. Baxter asked. I nodded and Ms. Baxter sat down.

"Here we go Copper, we can do it." I whispered and patted his neck.