Chapter Eleven: There's No Place Like Home

Start from the beginning

            “Okay,” she replied, nodding.

            The four of us went out of the house. Roxanne offered to carry my bags at the back while I say my final goodbyes to the vampire couples who fed me and took care of me for the past six days.

            I hugged Xayranne first and she hugged me back tightly. “Keep safe, Melanie! And please, don’t be nosy again. You never know what will happen!”

            I chuckled. “If I wasn’t nosy, we would never have met.”

            She let go, smirking. “Right you are.”

            After, I hugged Flynn. “Be safe and take care, Melanie. I hope we’ll see each other again.”

            “I hope so, too,” I sighed as I let go of him.

            He grinned. “We’ll send Garret your love.”

            “Just tell him goodbye. And besides, we’re going to see each other in school. It’s not technically a goodbye.”

            “Oh well. I know he would miss you.”

            “I doubt that.”

            “Ready, Melanie?” Roxanne called from the other side of her Mercedes. “Let’s better hurry. We don’t want you to arrive at nighttime, do we?”

            “It’s just three,” I replied, shrugging.

            “Yeah, well, it’s like a two-hour drive from Springfield to Chicago.”

            “But I thought vampires drive faster than humans?”

            “If you are in the mood to vomit, then I’ll drive faster.”  

            I rolled my eyes and hugged the couple once again. Then with a final wave, I went inside the passenger’s seat. I glanced at Roxanne, who rolled her eyes at me. I shrugged. “What?”

            “That was one of the longest goodbyes I’ve ever seen,” Roxanne announced. “It’s not like someone’s dying. You’re going to see them in the future.”

            “You never know,” I said, shrugging once again.

            Roxanne started the engine and began to drive, but not in a very fast pace like Flynn did. But in a slower—very like a normal human—pace.

            “I suggest you sleep,” she suggested. “It’s a two-hour drive and you can’t expect just to sit there and watch your surroundings.”

            I nodded and closed my eyes. Before I knew it, I was dead asleep.

            When I opened my eyes again, I was in my room. Nope, not my room back in Springfield. But my room. As in my room in Chicago. My eyes widened as my mouth opened slightly in shock. What the hell am I doing here?

            The last thing that I remember was sleeping inside Roxanne’s car. And now, here I am, lying on my bed in Chicago. My eyes wandered to the floor, where my bags were sitting innocently. Suddenly, my eyes caught something white on the floor just beside my bag.

            I immediately got up from my bed and picked it up. A note was written on it: Melanie, it must be a shock for you to wake up in your bed. Sorry about that. I told you to sleep so I can drive in faster pace. Slow is just not really my thing in driving. So I’ll see you in school on Monday. Bye. – R, xoxo.