Chapter 55: Sydney

Start from the beginning

"Just ask what you really want to know, Jasp," she stated, her azure eyes never leaving his.

He looked away for a moment, a hand combing through his raven hair before exhaling and returning his gaze to hers.

"Do you love him? Do you love Casey?"

She could see the struggle on his face as he voiced his question, but she couldn't sugarcoat her answer. He deserved to know the whole truth, as best she could explain it.

"I don't know," she began. "I don't know if what we have is love...but I know that he has my heart."

The look of pain that flashed across Jasper's face pulled her to him as she rubbed his arm.

"I do know that I love you...I've just never had the time to see if it was more than-"

"Yeah," he sighed. "I get it."

Sensing that now was a good time to change the direction of the conversation, Sydney blurted out, "I bumped into Baron on my way here."

Immediately cocking his head up in alarm, Jasper's eyes widened.

"What did he say?" he quickly questioned.

"That I shouldn't have come back. Jasper, what if he reports that he saw me? I'll have ruined everything."

There was uncertainty in his icy blue eyes as he shook his head.

"That may not be the case, but we're not taking any chances." As he grabbed Sydney's hand, he began pulling her down the stairs. "Come on, we've got to get back to Brenan."

At the bottom of the staircase sat Casey, who was just starting to stand up at the sight of them, hand in hand. Surprised by his presence, it took Sydney a moment to realize what he was looking at. She quickly pulled her hand out of Jasper's, hoping Casey wouldn't wrongly assume anything.

As they began to leave, he gripped her arm and pulled her aside.

"Come on, guys! We have to go, now!" Jasper shouted, but Casey wouldn't let her leave.

"Give me a minute!" he yelled. "I gave you plenty!"

When Jasper didn't argue, Sydney relaxed and look at the man in front of her. Though his body was tense, his eyes were soft as he stared into hers.

"Look, I know he's your friend and that you two have a lot of history together, but...I'm only going to ask this once, Sydney," he said, his hand raising to touch her cheek. "Choose me."

Before she could answer, he placed a chaste kiss on her lips and walked out, leaving her to deal with the puddle of emotions his action left her in. After pulling herself together, she wiped her hair out of her face and joined them, making sure her features were obscured by the shadow of her cap.

The jog back to the dormitory was held in peace, at least on the surface. Inside, each person was dealing with their own version of unrest, but none voiced it. When they got back to Jasper's room, Sydney quickly closed the door behind them and turned around just as a sharp stinging sensation filled her arm.

"Ow! Brooke, what was that for?" she questioned, looking at the cripple in front of her.

Her hazel eyes were glaring at her as she crossed her arms.

"That was for leaving and making us worry."

"I'm sorry, I just needed to get away from everyone and sort some stuff out."

"Yeah, well, next time, go in the closet or something. We don't need anyone seeing you, considering your situation," she pointed out.

"Actually," Brenan interrupted, raising a finger. "That's exactly what we need."