:six:

Genesis sipped on her milkshake and rubbed her tired eyes, staring across the diner table toward Ethan. It was two in the morning, and they were sat in an almost empty Denny's.

There was no particular reason, they just couldn't sleep and got hungry. But the bright lights and strange environment just made them realize how much they wanted to get back to the motel and go to sleep.

"Finish your milkshake so we can bail," the boy yawned.

"Give me a few minutes. I'm pretty sure there's a drug deal going down in the parking lot anyway." Gen sighed, motioning toward the dimly lit space outside the window. She was right.

Ten minutes later they figured it was alright to head back now that the parking lot was empty, so they drove in silence. They'd got in late last night after driving all day, so they were gonna camp out there at the motel for a while.

To avoid running into people Ethan knew, they'd drive for days at a time and then stop, waiting a few days or up to a week before continuing. He insisted it was throwing off anyone who was instructed to follow them. He must've been right, considering they were still alive.

The two of them had already been doing this for a little over a month now- it'd been over a month since he saved her life. Since both of their lives were altered completely.

They were getting pretty close though, not much longer and they'd finally arrive in New Jersey. They could've been there much sooner, but Ethan wanted to be extra cautious. Which is why they'd been traveling so slowly and strangely.

When they got back to the hotel, they stripped off their clothes and immediately climbed into bed, Gen with Ethan's shirt draped over her.

Only, for some reason, they still couldn't sleep.

Genesis huffed and sat up, turning the lamp on an facing Ethan.

"What is it, princess?" He groaned. Ethan just wanted to sleep- or try, considering he probably won't pass out for another half hour at least.

She pouted her lips lightly as she looked at him, his tired eyes fluttering as he looked at her. His hair was messy and features soft. Gen couldn't help but lean in to kiss him.

"What's gonna happen after all of this?" She asked quietly after a few moments.

"What do you mean?" Ethan hummed.

"When this is all over, when we feel safe enough to live regular lives again, what's going to happen to this? To us?"

"Uh, I don't know. I hadn't thought that far ahead. I guess we'll just change our names and try to move on." He furrowed his brows. That really was something he hadn't considered. It could be a long time before that happens.

"Will I still see you?"

"Don't you worry about it, princess. You're stuck with me."

•••

Gen swung a towel over her shoulder and waved to Ethan as she walked out of the motel room and toward the hot tub. She leaned back with some headphones in as she got comfortable, willing the day to melt away.

Most days were quite boring for the two of them. No electronics other than the cable tv in whatever place they were staying. They couldn't go out and do things all the time.

So Genesis sat for a while, probably close to two hours, until she looked up and glanced toward her motel room.

Multiple men left hurriedly, getting into their car and speeding off.

Ethan wasn't communicating with anyone- they shouldn't have been here. She immediately hopped out and started drying herself off as she walked to the door, keeping an eye on her surroundings to make sure no one else was around.