14|

Black waves of anger rolled off of Theo and saturated the air in thick silence. Millie had wanted to say something, anything to try and alleviate the tension that had built between them, but deep within her she could sense that nothing she said would have placated him.

She sat quietly in the oversized recliner in front of the fireplace that decorated her room, soft flames dancing in the hearth breathing warmth into the room. She winced slightly as Theo pressed a warm wash cloth to the large gashes in her leg-she may have fast healing but she still had to ensure that the wounds she received were cleaned and did not get infected.

Theo had applied himself to the task frowning at the wounds a mask of hard emotion on his face. He had cleaned the large gashes in her shoulder and the tiny cuts and bruises marring the perfection of her skin and in all that time he had said nothing to her. His jaw was clenched and his eyes set in concentration. She sighed heavily.

"Theo," she started softly

"Don't!" he snapped harshly and she recoiled at his sharp tone, she had never seen him this explosive before. He angrily tossed the blood stained cloth into a bowl of bloodied water, making it splash over the sides and fixed her with a cold, menacing look, the playboy aura that he wore so well gone completely. "What the fuck were you thinking going off like that!?"

Her stunned silence at his change in attitude melted away quickly giving way to annoyance. She had been taking care of herself for a long time and she was not answerable to anyone, let alone him. And she wasn't going to justify herself to him, even if she hadn't gone alone. "I don't need a keeper Theo," she responded calmly.

His anger burned deeper at her tone, she was too complacent about her safety "Apparently you do. Putting yourself at risk like that, for what? What the fuck was so damn important that you left the safety of the mansion without telling someone, without telling me!?"

Though his voice was rough and hard and his body taut with violence his hands as they wrapped her wounds in bandages were extremely gentle. There was nothing angry about his touch. It was gentle, tender and he was careful not to hurt her more.

"I wanted to go with Kit, besides in case you missed it I killed the vampires, all of them."

"So is that what this was, a tantrum? A chance for you to show me just how capable you are, Because you just had to prove you didn't need me."

"What? Of course not. I have been defending myself against vampires for a long time now, before you were even in my life. I know what I have to do when something like that happens. I am not a child Theo, I don't need your permission to go anywhere, so don't treat me like one." He opened his mouth to respond but she continued over him. "What would you have me do, run away?"

"Yes!"

"And then what would have happened to the people in the diner?" her voice was rising in pitch, betraying her calm demeanor. She stood up agitated now, testing her weight on her foot, she only had some discomfort-a night's rest would do well to speed up her healing- before moving away from him. "Leave them? I cannot do that. No, I will not do that. I won't have any more blood on my hands because I ran away. I don't see how this is such a problem to you."

"You were hurt!" he barked pushing up from his position on the floor to stand before her effectively stopping any retreat she made have made. He crossed his arms across his chest; the dark shadows on his face making him seem that much more menacing. "That is the big problem, Millie, you were hurt. Do you realize that you could have been killed!? You're not as indestructible as you think you are."

She pushed both hands through her wealth of dark hair, suddenly very tired. "This isn't the first time I was hurt and I'm sure it will not be the last, and besides I'm not that easy to kill. And you know what I don't see why you're so damn worked up about all of this"