Chapter 14: Maria

Start from the beginning

He inched closer to me as he gave me a monologue about how I was keeping Kristopher back. Just like every woman out there, I was trying to change my man.

He suddenly lunged at me and grabbed a clump of my hair, close to the roots. The lead pipe clattered violently onto the wooden floor. I began scratching at him to let me go, but he slammed my head against the headboard.

It dazed me, then he started punching me and wouldn't stop. He grabbed me by the hair again and flung me onto the floor. My hair was still in his grasp and he used that as a way to drag me around the floor, slamming me down when he could.

I was so incredibly disoriented by that point that I didn't know where the next blow was coming from or how to even defend myself. All I could hear him saying was that I was ruining Kris, and that he was going to make me pay for it.

He told me it would be all of my fault if he got caught. He swore that I would be his downfall, and it would be over my head if they executed him.

He finally let go of my hair and I hit the floor again. My wrists ached with pain as they broke my fall. I quickly tossed my hair from my eyes in time to see him pick up the lead pipe.

My knee caps turned to gelatin and proved useless as I tried to crawl away. There was no way to make it far anyway, because I was still chained to the bed.

I begged, pleaded, threw myself at his mercy to keep him from using that lead pipe. There was a primal look in his eyes. He wasn't listening at all, his vision had tunneled and I was at the end of it.

He came closer, seemingly enjoying my sobbing and crawling. I hit the end of the chain. No where left to run.

He loomed over me, a grin of pure evil playing on his lips. The lead pipe made contact with my ribs first. The pain was blinding and white hot. I couldn't even scream, the sound was trapped in my throat. My lack of reaction angered him and he swung the lead pipe harder.

I lay there like a turtle, shielding my head and my neck as he took out all of his anger on my side. No matter where I rolled, he managed to get a lick in. I couldn't remember when he stopped. Perhaps I had blacked out. He was suddenly gone and I was back in bed, the wounds and pain somehow gone. My brain has blocked it and put me in and out of consciousness.

When Kris and Adrian arrived, I thought it was him again, but I blacked out once more. My next moment of consciousness was when Adrian touched my arm and this time the sound escaped into the scream of terror he wanted to hear.

I finally looked at Kris. His face had hardened much more than it already had.

"That's all I needed, thank you." he said.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Goodnight, Maria. I'm sorry I didn't keep you safe."

He turned away dramatically, which prompted me to roll my good eye. He was a theater kid sometimes. He exited the room, taking his darkness with him. I wanted to worry but there was no use. There was no stopping a man like him. Jenny walked in right after, coming to sit next to me. I smiled at her, and reached over to grasp her hand.

"I missed you." I told her.

"I missed you too. I was at the station every single day trying to help find you." she replied.

"Thank you, Jenny."

She smiled and gave me a little wink. This girl was like the sister I never had, she was my best friend, and rock, she was a-

"I spent so much time here, I started developing feelings for that Detective Marner."

A bitch, she was a bitch.

"Did you go for it?" I asked, nonchalantly.

"I tried, but it was a no go."

He was mine, stay away from him. I'd sacrificed too much for him.

"Maybe he's work oriented." I shrugged, although that turned into a bad idea really quickly.

Jenny stood, gently squeezing my shoulders, and running her hand down my arm. I wanted to be mad, but that felt really good. The room door opened as a woman in a suit walked in. From the look on her face, I knew exactly who she was.

"I'm Agent Elaine Backstrom. This is my partner Agent Jordan Trotz."

My heart clenched at the name Jordan. Although he looked nothing like my twin brother, the sound of his name always cut at me.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"Great for being trapped in a serial killer's home and then subsequently being beaten by him." I answered.

"The same person did this to you?"

"Yes."

"Do you remember what he looked like?" Backstrom asked, pulling out a notepad.

"I want to talk to the detectives who saved me." I told her.

"They're not running this case."

"I want to see them, they saved my life." I insisted.

"We are investigating this case. If you want to talk to anyone about what happened, it's going to be with us."

"I want them in the room, or I talk to no one. I don't like your tone, and you need me a lot more than I need you."

Backstrom sharpened her eyes at me, but her look did nothing to me. I had looked into the face of two serial killers. An FBI agent was not going to scare me. Maybe some parts of me had turned to steel.

"Um, Maria's really tired. Perhaps in the morning she'll be more inclined to speak to you. She's been through a lot, as you can see." Jenny interjected, beginning to usher them out.

I love her.

She closed the door behind them and turned back to me.

"Wow, stick up her ass much?"

"Or she doesn't get one too often." I joked.

Jenny giggled, shaking her head at me. I'd been hanging out with Kris too much.

 I'd been hanging out with Kris too much

Hi guys!

Just wanted to say that you truly are the highlight of my week. I enjoy reading your comments, and receiving notifs from you all. It's the part of the week I look most forward to. I love you guys <33

How was this chapter?

Maria admitted that it was The Admirer and now Kris has gone out there to do goodness knows what.