Chapter Eighteen: Jail Break

I tied the machete tightly to my waist. Quietly, I waited as Sam and Alexander geared up and prepared for the hunt. Along with my machete I was armed with another blade and 4 syringes full of dead man's blood. From what I had been taught about vampires, I was not excited to go fight, but I was eager to get Dean and Cassidy back. I looked at the rising sun then at the watch on my wrist, 9:30 am.

"Hey Sam?" I asked, a question rising in my mind.

"Yeah?"

"Won't the vampires smell us when we're coming? I remember Bobby saying they have an increased sense of smell."

"Yeah, they do. I, however, have a way to give us a chance of not being detected." Sam turned to his weapons bag and pulled out an assortment of things. "Burning saffron, skunk's cabbage, and trillium blocks a vampires scent. My dad taught us that." He placed the items back in the bag before walking into his bedroom.

I was anxious and jittery with anticipation. Over and over again in my mind I prayed that Cass and Dean were okay. That I wouldn't be putting anyone into the ground after this. I jumped when Alexander put his hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, we are ready. Do you have everything?"

"I'm good to go," I replied with a forced half smile. Alexander, in turn, gave me the same smile.

"They are gonna be okay,"

"I hope you're right Alexander. I really hope you are."

"You can call me Alex, you know. Alexander is a mouthful."

"Thanks Alex." Sam came out of his room with the last bit of supplies. "Hey?" I asked, "When are we going to burn that stuff so that we're under the radar?"

"Once we are up the canyon. That way it is fresh and more strong in smell," he replied.

"Okay, so I have another question?"

"Yeah?"

"This lead vamp knows who I am. Will he be able to pick up my scent easier? Cause Bobby told me that once a vamp has your scent they have it for life..." Sam was quiet for a period of time, his eyebrows scrunched in thought.

"I think you should be okay, but to be safe make sure to use a lot of ash." I nodded in agreement.

"Shall we go?" I asked

We left the apartment and went down the stairs leading us into the lobby. Once outside we all climbed into the Impala. Alex and I both sat in the back. The drive felt long and each mile seemed to double as we drove.

Once we arrived at the dirt road that would lead us to the creek, Sam led us to a small clearing where he burned the ingredients. The three of us rubbed the ashes all over our bodies. Flashing weary smiles we headed into the woods. I prayed we would make it out of this, even if it was only my family that did.

______________

Dean's mouth was filled with blood and his left eye was beginning to swell. The ambush had been the last thing on Dean's mind when it had occurred. He could remember Cassidy screaming for help and the sound of breaking furniture as he tried to break free of the four vampires that had attacked him. The amber eyes of the leader flickered with rage.
"What do you mean she isn't here!" he responded to the woman talking to him. He frowned with disgust at her response. "Take these two back to the nest. If Rachel is like they say she is, she'll be running into our arms by the end of tonight." Dean struggled and fought against the vampires but they tackled and pinned him down, knocking over a vase in the process, shattering it on the floor. He was knocked unconscious soon after.