Fireside Surprise

Start from the beginning

                “You’re a genetic mutant,” she crept forward, ruby colored lips curling in a sneer, “do you know why you could freeze me like that? Because Amora could. You’re not even a real person, you’re just a genetic copy, engineered by magic. You’re a freak, a copy of a dead girl!”

                I ground my teeth together, “You have five second to get the hell out of my way, Edda.”

                She stepped to one side as I passed by, obviously content that her barbs had hit home, and I marched past, fists clenched. Holding my head up high until I’d turned the corner and was out of sight. My stomach felt queasy though. Engineered by magic. What the hell was she talking about? Nobody had said anything about magic. Had she just made that up?

                I couldn’t face more mocking faces right now, so I skipped the dining hall and went straight to the library where I would be able to think in peace. I was surprised to see Erik already there, sitting at the same table he had last time. He looked up when I entered and his smile faded as I drew nearer.

                “Amora, what’s the matter? You look upset. Was it Lief again?”

                “Yes…no. I mean…” I yanked a chair out and sat down across from him, taking a deep breath, wondering if I was going to sound like a crazy person, “ Do you guys use magic?”

                Erik looked stunned, “What? Where did that come from?”

                I didn’t want to go into the whole Lady Edda thing, so I just said, “someone told me I was engineered by magic. What does that even mean?”

                Erik sighed, scraping a hand through his hair, “It’s complicated. It’s part of the genetic memories. I’m sorry, I should have touched on that more, but to the Jotun it’s an integral part of the genetic memories. We don’t even think about it anymore really. It’s what develops the memories. It wouldn’t be possible without magic. Sometimes the magic takes and the genetic memories are a success and sometimes it doesn’t work.”

                It was all a bit much. I rubbed at my temples, “So…what, my biological father….enchanted my mother or something?”

                Erik smiled, “Well, it’s hardly that simple, but something along those lines…yes. Essentially your DNA is fused with that of Amora’s. You inherit some of her memories, which you already know, and that’s also why you look so much like her. The Queen didn’t even tell me she’d asked the King to do it, I suppose because she wasn’t one hundred percent sure it had worked. Now it’s obvious that it did.”

                “So, she was right. I’m created by magic,” I groaned and leaned forward, resting my head on the table, “is there anything else you might have neglected to tell me?”

                Erik frowned, “Who is she? What are you talking about?”

                “Lady Edda,” I grumbled, “I ran into her in the hallway and she kindly informed me about the magic. So, explain more…can I do magic?” Somehow I couldn’t picture myself prancing about waving a sparkling wand and chanting magic spells.

                Erik was shaking his head though, “it’s not like that. Our magic is very deep, and very old. It’s in our bones. It’s what creates the ice,” he reached forward and brushed a finger over my hand, sending tingles up my arm, “but, you won’t find any of us chanting spells or stirring goop in a giant black cauldron, if that’s what you mean.”