Chapter 37 - I Have a Plan

Start from the beginning

My feet start trailing after him. "Are you mad at me?"

"No."

I pick up the pace. "Well... Well I don't even know where Brittany and Krys are. So could you show me?"

"They're in Krys' room," he says over his shoulder. "You know where that is, right?"

I give him a flat look. "Okay, that's not fair."

He doesn't say anything else.

I follow him all the way back to the brothers' room. On the way, we pass the pink room where Krys is currently giving Brittany pigtail braids. Brittany gives me desperate look, 'Help me.'

I point towards Carson and she cringes. I give her the same expression and she gives me a look that could only be read as, 'You're on your own.'

"Stop moving," Krys whines, snatching Brittany's hair back.

I leave them to it.

When we finally make it to his joint room, I stop in the doorway as he walks in. "If you're not mad, why are you acting like this?"

He mutters something under his breath.

"What was that?" I ask, as he pulls off his jacket and adjusts his undershirt.

He doesn't even look at me as he mutters, "Because it's a free country, Mia."

I cock my head back.

I have to take a step into the room to keep him in my line of vision as he collapses on his bed. "Maybe we need to talk about this," I glare at him.

He shakes his head. "I'm done talking." He pulls a pillow over his head. "Goodnight."

"Carson."

Nothing.

"Carson," I say firmly.

"It's impolite to wake people up," he says loud and clear.

I scoff. "Well you're not asleep yet, so it doesn't count."

"I would be."

Omg. "I'm coming in," I say, leaving the door open.

"Feel free to. It's not like you're a guest here." He gestures towards Axel's bed.

I snatch the pillow away from him. "Stop it."

"No." He grabs another pillow and puts it over his head.

I sigh, exasperatedly. I just can't win. "Why can't you just stop being jealous of your brothers?" I ask the universe more than him. I just want this all to work out, but the second I've worked things out with one brother—or screwed things up worse in Aiden's case—I have to deal with the next.

I hold the pillow in my arms against my chest and sit down beside him. "I know that you probably feel like—"

"I'm not jealous of my brothers."

"What?" I double take. "You're not?"

He shakes his head.

"... Okay," I eye him suspiciously. "Well then what is it?"

He rests on his side so that he's facing me. He stares into my eyes with the most serious expression ever. "I now know that my jealousy is a defense mechanism designed to hide our relationship problems." He slams the pillow down in front of him. "It's not a result of my brothers. It's a result of us failing romantically."

"What the hell are you talking about?" I ask.

"I've been reading." He gets up and walks towards Aiden's side of the room. He grabs a book off the nightstand and brings it to me. "Divorce is all that's left if we don't get to chapter seven..."