Chapter 6

Hansen

ABIGAIL’S SAFE HOUSE

            I removed my hand and she didn’t make a sound.  Not a scream or a whisper.  She was pretty beaten up.

            “Who are you?” she said.

            “I work for Third Echelon,” I whispered to her.

            “That doesn’t tell me who you are, it tells me who you work for but not who you are, which is what I asked.  Now, who are you?” she asked.  Her voice was weak.

            “None of your concern,” I whispered and she moaned in pain.  Her head rolled to the side and I looked up at the camera in the corner of the room.  I knew Nathan was staring right through it.

            “Yes, it is,” she said through clenched teeth.  Her face screw up in pain. “If you work for Third Echelon, then you know who Grim is, which means you have a direct line to her or your Base Runner who can put you in touch with Grim.”

            “Urm…” I groaned.

            “Oh,” she gave a pained half laugh.  “You must be part of that Delta Sly team.  That’s a joke.  Four rookies and a Splinter Cell thrown together and sent to hunt down the best damn operative in the agency.  By the looks of you, normally I would have gone rookie, but a rookie would have gotten more of their ass handed to them.  I will go Splinter Cell only because you said your name was none of my concern.”

            She finished on the beginning of a groan.  I rolled my eyes and hissed, “You are one to talk about getting their ass handed to them.”

            She laughed and ended in a groan of pain, “You’re funny.”

            “You need help,” I said.

            “Get out, he will be back soon,” she muttered through another moan of pain.  I looked at the door and back at her.  Her eyes had slid closed and she was squeezing them tight.  Her right hand formed a fist.  She was in pain, lots of it.  I slipped outside and walked down the hall.

            “Are you insane?” Maya hissed in my ear.

            “Shut up, see if you can hack into the camera’s in her safe house, we can watch her and whoever is taking care of her,” I responded.

Maya

INTERNET CAFÉ IN SERBIA

            We already had the cameras.  I can’t believe Ben didn’t think we wouldn’t have gotten them.  Hansen walked into the café and joined us.

            “What the hell were you thinking?” I hissed.

            “Camera’s have full audio, as well as IR and night vision abilities.  There are two other angles, although I cannot see into that room there.” Nathan said pointing to the door.

            “It’s probably the bathroom, girl would want her privacy,” I hissed. 

            “Nope, bathrooms covered, it’s just left of the bed.  I missed it when I entered.  See, you can see the door from the camera in the bathroom.” Nathan said switching the camera.

            “Gross, is there any privacy in this agency or do we just display literally everything for some fat Base Runner to watch and ogle over as we take a shower?” I snarled.