17. Firdaus

Location: The Kingdom of Kara

KNOWING THAT Ayeesha was now safe in my palace lifted a weight off my shoulders. Yet, the feeling of despair and helplessness anchored deep within the pits of my stomach.

She looked dead. Her lips were cracked and her entire body was covered in black blood and cakey mud. Alabaster bone peeked out from the torn flesh of her shoulder and leg. Her wrist was contorted at an angle even the curling petals of a withering flower could not replicate.

The healer had informed me that some sort of predator had attacked her. She had fought back but it had still gotten her badly.

I trained all day, and Delan never left my side. His presence seemed to only irritate me, his usual demeanor hidden. As I walked down the hallway, my mind wandered to the days before.

I knew it was wrong to torture her. I knew she did not have any information. Yet, I still did it.

Pursing my lips, I let out a sigh, one that shook my frame - the burden of my guilt had sunken deep into me over the past few days.

As soon as she woke, I would apologize, I mentally decided.

"King Firdaus," a voice broke my train of thought.

"Your highness, Ayeesha's condition will take time to improve. The predator's bit has caused an alarming effect on the poor girl's body, and it will definitely take a long time to heal. Her wrist is healing slowly and with God's blessing, she will be alright," the healer informed. My body turned stiff at her first sentence.

That stupid girl. If only she had stayed put. If only she had simply shut up and kept her tail tucked.

"Thank you."

I turned around to go to the throne room, my anger would help getting some ordains done.

Suddenly, a small face came to my mind. A lady possibly in her twenties or so with fear written over her face. My face crinkled in thought as I tried to recall when I had seen this face. I tapped my nail against the pads of my fingers as I tried to remember.

Suddenly, I remembered the lady who brought Ayeesha back to the palace. I felt a rush of gratitude towards this woman, and I felt like I should thank her personally.

Walking up the stairs to the woman's quarters, Tansen walked up and bowed to me. "Tansen," I greeted. He looked up at my face and handed me a scroll that was wound up tightly. "What is thi-" I started but he cut me off.

"Your highness," he bowed. Tansen just looked at me as if he wanted to say something, but he remained silent. "Dismissed," I commanded skeptically, and he bowed as he walked away. With slightly trembling fingers, I untied the scroll that was being held together with a golden piece of thread. I unraveled the scroll, and I felt the blood in my face drain.

"Report on: Soldier Kaff.

Position: Archer in Royal Army of Kara

Cause of Death: Stab to the chest - execution

Origin: Hyr Tribe

Cause for death: Duel with King Firdaus Lehin Kara II, King of Kara and it's plentiful territories. Death as a result.

Unusual Findings: Originated from Hyr Tribe - threat to Kara. Possible spy, assassin, or warrior.

Results: Hyr Tribe heading to Kara - possible

Hyr Tribe assassinating King Firdaus Lehin Kara - possible

Hyr Tribe is a threat to Kara. Must take action soon."

God save us.

Author's Note:

Edited: 9/12/2020

Vote. Comment.

 Comment