1. Ayeesha

Location: The Kingdom of Jarula

THE THICK, BLACK smoke filled my lungs, and I bent over coughing. I clutched a nearby table for support and closed my eyes, tears streaming down from my cheeks, the rivulets black from the smoke. My mind was hazy and there was only one thing I could think about. Escape.

I trudged down the hallway, my beaded shawl collecting the blood of fallen soldiers, and I hid behind a large, golden drape every time I heard an enemy soldier kill one of my own. A shudder went through me with each scream that echoed through the halls, I squeezed my eyes shut, murmuring a small prayer for each fallen soldier.

Finally, after what felt like over a lifetime of searching through the smoke, I reached the secret entrance which was known to only the royal family. Coughing into my sleeve and covering my nose, I used one arm to prop up the small stone door and climbed into the narrow space.

On my elbows and knees, as I crawled through the claustrophobic space, I tunneled through until I saw a pinprick of light. Almost letting out a sob in relief, my hope was quickly extinguished when I saw a flash of metal near the entrance. Green and gold silk blew softly in the gentle breeze, symbolizing the kingdom of Kara. I gasped in terror and started moving back up the tunnel.

I'd rather die in the confining smoke than ever let a Karian man capture me. I almost reached the end when I felt a weight shift over the entrance. I heard muffled voices, and then everything went quiet. The sound of a sword tapping on hollow stone echoed through the tunnel and my eyes widened in fear.

Conflicted, I prayed to the Gods, hoping that the exit was clear and that the Karians had left. Crawling through once again, I heard a loud crash and the crumbling of rock in the distance. They had discovered the tunnel. Smoke quickly filled the small chamber and I moved even faster for fresh air, a sob escaping as I realized I would not get out of the situation without getting captured.

I crawled through with difficulty until I reached the end and almost cried in relief when I saw that the green and gold flags were gone. Climbing out of the tunnel and bringing my shawl to my face, I wiped my eyes until an armor-clad man from the trees made eye contact with me.

I froze.

"Prisoner!" he bellowed out and suddenly, more soldiers crept out of the bushes. They all wore small crescent moons on their armor, symbolizing their status as Karian soldiers. I turned to run only to see myself being surrounded by even more soldiers.

Eventually, I was trapped within a semicircle of soldiers, each with a horrifying weapon dripping in thick, dark blood.

A burly man with a mustache and cruel brown eyes stepped forward and in a deep voice that sent chills to my core, sneered.

"State your name," he asked in a cold voice, making my hands tremble. I remained silent, refusing to answer the vile man.

"You have one more chance," he warned, stepping forward. "State your name and status."

I stood my ground, silent as stone. I'd rather die than acquiescence.

He stepped forward and narrowed his eyes, his hands signaling someone. Instantly, I felt a hand over my nose and mouth. Struggling, I held my breath for as long as I could.

My vision became hazier, and black spots danced around the edges of my vision. Finally releasing my breath, I breathed in fumes of chemicals used by our doctors and my vision tunneled.

"What have you done?" I slurred, losing my balance and hitting the ground. Pain shot up my side but soon, everything was enveloped with a blanket of darkness.

Author's note:

Edited: 3/27/20

Was the first chapter any good?

Vote. Comment.